Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wood metal

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassheart, Aug 24, 2003.

1. bassheart

bassheart

Aug 24, 2003
    Ok hi,

metal strings with metal hardware, non-metal strings with wooden hardware, metal strings with wooden hardware and non-metal strings with metal hardware. Whats the difference??

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Um, an odd question, but ok. The strings on a bass are usually made out of nickel, stainless steel, or nylon. Each gives a different tone compared to one another, with a very broad generalization being steel=brigt and snappy, nickel=warm but clear, and nylon=very warm with a thump, although it goes a lot deeper than that.

The hardware on a bass includes the tuning pegs, knobs, switches, bridge, etc, and is generally made from different types of metal or plastic in some cases. The only parts that are sometimes made from wood are the knobs (mainly for aesthetic appeal) and the bridge (for a different tone than a metal one).

Does that help?

3. bassheart

bassheart

Aug 24, 2003
    yeah cheers, i'm going to look into nylon ones. thanx.

i dont suppose you know anything about solid body bass cavities they seem interesting??

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    By "solid body bass cavities," do you mean semi-hollowbody basses (where certain cavities are cut from the inside of the bass)? I know they give a different tone than a standard solidbody, but if you're asking about the technicalities of it, I should leave it up to the luthiers to answer.