Wood - Necks - ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Orco87, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    I've been hearing a lot about the different types of wood on necks of basses and things like that, and also I've gathered that these different types of wood give out different types of sound (naturally). So my question is: what wood gives off what sound? I hope it makes since. For example: maple gives off what type of sound? Rosewood gives off what type of sound? etc. I would just like to get this clear so if I come across a deal I know what's good or not.
    Enough of my rambling, please help a fellow learning bassist! :(
  2. 6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    Um, well, I don't know to much about this but I can tell you that you want a strong neck. This is why a lot of lutheirs use maple. Wich has a warmer sound. Some other companies such as warwick will use exotic woods such as ovankanol-sp?. Wich has more of a dry , midrangy tone. For fret boards rosewood is a deep sounding wood with a lot of mwah when fretless. Ebony is a real full sounding wood with an upright like tone when fretless. Hope that helped a little.
  3. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
    Rosewood finish has a little more deeper sound"more bass".A maple neck has more treble sound " a little more tinnery"
  4. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Thanks guys, I'm slowly understanding stuff now. I'll probably search for some more info. until I get most of the woods and their sounds to memory. Thanks a lot for you help! :)
  5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The websites of Acacia, Ken Smith, MTD and Tom Anderson have good primers on the physical acoustic properties of various woods used in instruments. Can't think of the links offhand; go to Google and do a search.
  6. Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Thanks again guys!