Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wood nuts, wood frets

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by The Antipop, Mar 20, 2004.

1. not sure where this should go so I guessed.

what would be the benefits and disadvantages of this?

2. Not for sure, but I can assume wooden frets and nuts (!) would wear down quite quickly. IMO, of course.

3. They would, but it shouldn't be as bad with flats. And imagine the thump!

4. Warwick should try this. "The sound of wood" and all that jazz, you know...

5. Nuts wouldn't be so bad, as long as you use a nice hard bit of wood and aren't tuning up and down all the time.

Frets would die pretty quickly but with flats it wouldn't be so bad. The bigger concern I think would be actually squishing them by fretting to hard, rather than wear. I was just thinking you could just carve the frets out of the neck, so that you have ridges in the fretboard where the frets are, as opposed to using wood in the same way metal frets are used. Even still your intonation would probably go pretty cactus real quick.

I'm thinking: one piece neck thru, fingerboard made from the neck itself (Fenderstyle jobby) with the frets made from carving out the neck. Use a continuation of the theme for the bridge (an acoustic style made also from the same block as the neck, just sitting higher), you'd have no break in the wood between the nut and the bridge. It'd have to count for something with the tone, with all the arguements about neck/body joints, bridge materials and the rest of that jazz. Up until you have to replace the whole bass because you wore out the frets and in doing so, the neck, it may have a cool sound. Just get someone famous to fall in love with the sound and just make basses every week for them.

Josh D

6. I was just thinking of making a bass and making it all wood

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The nut on my Jerzy Drozd Mastery VI is ebony. I believe every bass has an ebony nut on Jerzy's basses. Quite frankly, I like it. It's very solid and isn't wearing down any faster than the brass nut on my Spector (read: not wearing down at all).

The nut sees far less string friction than frets do, so I have no idea if it's viable to make frets out of wood or not, but I have no problem with a wooden nut.;)

For more information, check out this link: http://www.jerzydrozdbasses.com/moredetails.htm