Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood on MIM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by matt bass, Dec 9, 2003.

1. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Hi all.

I was considering having some one sand down my black MIM P cause im tired of cleaning it and think natural P's look great anyway. Woul there be any point in doing this, what is the wood used on the body? Would this look any good?

Thanks in advance

matt

2. Depends on the year...i know that any MIM P-basses made within the past 5 years(maybe more) are supposed to be alder.

3. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    It may be poplar...

4. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Catalogs say from 2000 (earliest I have) is that the MIM are alder bodies. If it was made before that year you would have to check with someone else as I don't know.

Dan

5. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    It's a 2002 MIM. Would stripping it down be worth it. Has anyone got any pics with a natural Alder body?

matt

6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Odds are the wood isn't pretty underneath. Generally the best cuts of wood are saved for basses that will have a transparent or semi-transparent finish. Bodies that are painted with opaque finishes get the pieces that are glued together and/or have ugly grain patterns.

Of course, you could get lucky and find a gem underneath, but if I were you, I would assume that a natural finish is out of the question. I have a friend that hates black because of fingerprints showing. He has been having his new basses made with satin finishes.

7. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Alder is often used for solid body instrument finishes because its not a particularly attractive wood. Its very plain looking.

8. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Ok, thanks guy's. Looks like stipping it down is out of the question then. The finger prints are what bugs me too. Guess i'll just have to live with it:(

9. You could always refinnish it another colour? Why must it be natural? :D

10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yea, I agree. If you were willing to refin natural, just refin a different solid color or texture. The lighter colors tend to be very good at hiding fingerprints. White with a tort guard is very sexy.

11. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i have an alder boidied bass that looks killer

steve

12. I even find some blues and some reds arent bad for fingerprints either.
    Go with lake placid blue...its always a winner :)

13. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    In general, there is nothing wrong with alder, but in this case I suspect that he will find an inferior grade under the paint. A 3 piece body would not be unexpected. An ugly grain pattern might also be lurking under the paint.

14. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    The idea of using another colour is appealing. Lighter colours are less likely to show prints and smudges. I had one in a Natural Satin finish and it was nice. White or Lake Palcid Blue would work well. It would depend on the colours you like.

Dan

15. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Thanks for the info guy's.

I think i might consider white now.

cheers

matt