Wood pup covers for Nordy NJ5s?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bardley, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Hello all,
    I have a couple questions that I need some input on.
    I have a Warrior 5 string that I do not play much but will never part with it because it has sentimental value, however, I am not crazy about the tone. It has Bartolini X5 pups which are the long narrow soapbar type. It currently has a Glock preamp, but will most likely end up with an Aguilar OBP-3 or a Nordstrand 3-band.
    Warrior001.jpg

Ok, as for my questions, would the Nordstrand NJ5s be fine with wood covers? I have seen that on bestbassgear they sell Nordstrand DCs that are designed for wood covers and that the poles protrude more from the bobbin. I need the thin NJ5s to fit in the X5 shape because I do not want to route on the bass for bigger pups.

Secondly, does anyone know someone (A fellow TBer perhaps) that could possibly make some wood pup covers in the Bart X5 shape to house an NJ5 pup and about how much would something like that cost? I am thinking about purpleheart as the wood, because it would match the fingerboard and middle neck strip. I am just thinking through this right now and not ready to jump quite yet.

What do you guys think?

2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021