Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wood question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dreadhead, Jul 5, 2002.

1. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Hello there... sorry if I post another unuseful message, but I need your help.
    I'm going to change my bass, and I want that Jaco bridge sound AND a great slap. I guess that an active bass with alder body would be perfect... is it??? What about Mahogany? How does it affect sound as a body wood? Sorry, I don't know these woods... I know well only exotic ones (Bubinga, Afzelia, Wengé etc.)
    Thanx to all!

2. why not get the jaco bass?

and in general, for slap, the brighter the better. an ash body w/ maple board would give you really good slap sounds.

3. Alder is my favorite core wood, on par (to me) with ash. Mahogany is nice, but tends to sound rather muddy. A mahogany alder sandwich would be awesome. Alder would brighten up the tone, where the mahogany darkens it.

Mahogany and maple would be a good pair also, even though I prefer maple and walnut combonations.

4. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    Yes, I know... but if I use ash, I don't get the Jaco tone...and if I wanted ONLY a great slap sound, I would choose Afzelia or Moabi...

5. dreadhead

dreadhead

Feb 1, 2002
    Europe
    So you think that Alder is "bright"?? My God... I'm confused... I did think that Alder sounded warm, Ash a little punchier...
    However, the problem is that I want a good slap sound AND a nasaly Jaco tone from the same bass!
    When I played a '69 Jazz bass, I thought that it was really a good fingerstyle bass... but when I slapped... UGLY! The high were too thick... it did lack in punch. I don't remember the bridge sound of the '77 I've played... :(