Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood Questions...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bass_player16, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Hey guys, its been QUITE a long time since I've been able to post because I've been grounded :mad: . But its good to be back :) . I've been reading alot on how to build basses and the types of things I would need to know, and just recently the art teacher at my school who is interested in guitars and building them decided he wanted to start a guitar building club. Naturally I jumped at the chance to build my own bass, but its come time for me to pick my woods and I'm kind of at a standstill. I told him I'd like a bubinga body, with maybe a wenge neck, but hes dead set on using maple, and the place he goes to get the wood doesn't know if they can get me any bubinga, so I was wondering what another good sounding/looking wood is that would go well with a maple neck, and rosewood fretboard(again not really my choice but due to the teacher and money right now its what I have to go with). My teacher suggested Walnut, and I thought it might be a good idea, but I figured I'd better ask on here because you guys know ALOT about this stuff. Anyways now that I've rambled on, any and all help would be GREATLY appreciated, and a big thank you in advance.

Jared

EDIT: I thought I better add some stuff too this as well, I'll be building a 6 string bass with a 36" scale, its also going to be neck through body, as well as string through body type bridge.

2. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    Walnut is a good wood for bass. Nothing wrong with a maple neck and rose wood fingerboard... Personally I'd rather have a maple neck then wenge.

Alder is another nice sounding wood for bodies, and you can get a cap of a nice looking wood to put on top of it.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Yeah, maple is nicer in some ways than wenge. And half the price. Walnut will make a great body wood -- more lightweight and easier to work than bubinga. My first neck through had a solid bubinga body and it sucked to carve.

Go with walnut and maple and when you get hooked on building them you can start to spend time hunting down other woods for your latest creation.