Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood thicknesses with ash body and maple burl top?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by KAOSBass, Jan 15, 2006.

1. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    I'm not ready to build this yet, still working on an ash, Wal meets Musicman.

My question is, Can anyone who has the time to kind of walk me through doing a burl top, and getting the thicknesses of each wood. It will be a neck-thru with either and maple neck and ebony fretboard, or wenge neck with cocabola fretboard, still undecided.

The I ash I have is 1-7/8" thick and the maple burl is 1-1/8" thick.....

Any help will be appreciated.

I'm still kinda new at this so please bear with me. :)

2. klocwerk

klocwerk

May 19, 2005
    Somerville, MA
    I'm simply not sure what it is you're asking. Can you rephrase it in the form of a question?

3. Luke Sheridan

Luke Sheridan Commercial User

Dec 30, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I build guitars and sell them. Strings, too
    1 and 3/4-inch is pretty standard for a Fender type Bass. I like to go a bit thinner. You'll need to plane down both pieces. I'd probably go for a 1/4 inch on the burl, but it will depend on the thickness you'd like for each piece.

4. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    My question is: What thicknesses would you go with for each piece of wood?

I'm thinking now of going with the ash at 1-1/4 and the maple burl at 1/4 front and back....

5. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    That isn't enough burl to go 1/4" front and back if you have to bookmatch it. Do you have to or is the burl already full sized?.....t

6. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Amarillo Texas
    yea I'm having it resawn and I'll lose 1/8" It's 38" X 20". I'm not going to bookmatch it. One solid piece front and back...