1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wood Treatment vs. Body Weight

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I've noticed that many of the Fender Sandblasted and the Roasted Series seem lighter than a standard.
    This is based on not so scientific research of looking at the both new and old listings from Reverb, new roasted J basses, Bass Central listings, and TB classifieds.

I can understand that the roasted process can reduced weight by making the wood drier.
    I don't understand how the sandlasted would significantly reduce the weight of a bass espeically considering these were made out of ash.

Of course, my sampling could be scewed.
    Any thoughts or documentation on this?

2. Warpeg

Warpeg

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The only way you'll get solid statistical data on this is to have a sizable sample population weigh only the bodies of their sandblasted basses and report the weights back to you. The weights of the necks, tuners, electronics, etc. will introduce noise into your results.

gebass6 likes this.
  3. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    You can look on Warmoth and see guitar or bass bodies of the same design and wood type that are very different in weight. Roasting or sandblasting will undoubtedly make an given piece of wood lighter, but not necessarily lighter than the next piece of wood. And of course, the variable mentioned above - what hardware is mounted, can have a huge difference - a brass piece of hardware is literally 3x the weight of an identical aluminum one.

4. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    In this case the hardware, pickups, tuners, etc. are the same.
    I haven't seen that much difference in the weights of Fender necks but think it would be negligable relative to the body weight.
    Agreed that it would make some difference and that the sampling is way to small.
    OTOH there are more examples of lighter weight wiht the above treatments than standard Fenders.
    The Sandblasted appeared in a few TB classifieds and I can't finds a used one for sale; and I'm ready to buy one if any are for sale at a reasonable price

Here are 3 at 7lbs; don't think I've seen a 7lb Fender, and I have 5 of them
    Fender Limited Edition American Professional Jazz Bass Roasted Ash 2018 Maple Neck Natural (#5561)
    Fender Limited Edition American Pro Jazz Bass Natural Roasted Ash
    Fender American Pro Jazz Bass Roasted Ash Limited Edition Natural

Here is one at 8.1 lbs
    Fender Limited Edition Am Professional Jazz Bass 2018 Natural Roasted Ash - 8.1 pounds - US18010374
    There was also a 8.0 and 8.25

Crazy light
    There are a lot more but without weights

5. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    I work a lot machining roasted maple necks for other Luthier clients, mostly Mike Lipe Guitars. Roasted maple neck blanks weigh about 20%-30% less than normal un-roasted maple blanks. That's comparing straight grain roasted vs straight grain un-roasted. Figured roasted maple is often lighter yet, but most of that is because the highly figured boards tend to be softer and lighter anyway.

Sandblasting body woods like ash doesn't remove much quantity of wood. I doubt it is more than a couple of percent.

6. Jim C

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Thanks for this.
    Is the weight reduction solely from removing moisture, or is there some other reaction going on that reduces weight?