Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood type for bodies

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jimbass55, May 22, 2002.

1. What are some suggestions, opinions, and differences between some of the main woods used on bass bodies. I am not really talking about exotic woods. But mostly ash, alder, maple, etc......
    Thanks for your help.

2. I really like ash, I have it on my DP custom and I think it contributes to it's "Growl".

there is so much that can be (and has been) said. if you search for "tone woods" on the forum or the internet you'll find a lot of good descriptions and qualitys of different woods.

back on woods; maple is a cool sounding body wood. listen to a Rickenbacker, they're all maple. IMO they're one of the most distinctive sounding basses of all time.

3. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    this might help some. never posted a link on here, so bear with me. you may have to copy/paste...

body woods

4. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    I really like swamp ash, as well as maple. Light and bright.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Pedestrian woods;

- swamp ash; snappy, lots of bite, great high end bark and low end articulation

- alder; great mids, defined lows and highs.....sort of a "one size fits all all" wood in terms of it not accentuating any characteristic too much at the expense of other tonal characteristics

- maple; BRIGHT, BRIGHT!! Pure snap and definition. Forget "mellowness" and big lows. an all-rock maple body requires sunglasses.

- basswood; beautiful tonal wood; its softness gives it warmth but needs to used in conjuction with a harder wood to give it some definition on the low and high end, to protect it because it dents like styrofoam/balsa, and isn't much cosmetically

- poplar; a good tonal wood used by Fender since the olden days; incredibly butt-ugly so it needs paint/finishing.

My comments are generalizations. The particular boards a luthier or bass manufacturer uses make all the difference in the world. Grain, tap tone, wood age, drying, grain runout, luthier skill, etc. are more important than specie, IME.

6. jankjo

jankjo

May 22, 2002
    Anybody play a bass with Cherry as a tone wood?
    I searched the forum, but didn't find too much.

7. Thanks for your help guys. I am looking at buying a Warmoth body, and there are so many to choose from. I am leaning towards the Alder. Are there any other places on the web to buy these bodies & necks? thanks again

8. Warmoth bodies are available direct from Warmoth, but there are some other companies that sell bodies and necks as well. USA Custom Guitars is one, Mighty Mite another. I have no experience from building basses myself, at least not yet, but a lot of people have over at the Fender Forum, as well as here, so if you need more information, go there as well.
    Happy hunting!