Wood types with Piezo

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SnakeAnthony, Jan 12, 2006.

1. OK, so I've been thinking through a design I have for a bass. I plan on have a black limba (korina) core with figured Walnut top and back. Then I thought about a chambered body, with a piezo to accent the nice highs that would be a result of the hollow chamber. My concern is that walnut and korina are generally a dark wood, and might end up with a strange piezo tone. Anyone know if it would affect it in anyway? Good? Bad?
  2. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    im not sure if chambering brings nice highs. you mean increases highs, or makes the highs sound nicer?

anyway i think having a setup that all completely favours bright tones (i think something like a maple neck bolt-on with ebony fretboard and maple body and emg pickups) will make your bass sound harsh. try mixing in some dark options, then EQ your bass with a good EQ. that might work better.
  3. The hollow chamber usually increases highs into the sound of the bass. Then I want to accent the added highs with a piezo. Well, its would have those body woods, neck through, ebony board, and a nice Preamp/EQ. So you dont think there would be a problem?
  4. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    Sometimes ya don't know until ya try it :eyebrow:
  5. ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    i say try. it might turn out fantastic. frankly i really dig basses with loads of harmonics - easy to eq out, but almost impossible to eq in on a dark bass.
  6. Yeah, awsome sounding harmonics are definatly gonna be an upside to the piezo. Pull off some jaco kinda harmonic lines....
  7. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Unless you are going to make a pretty large chamber I don't think you're going to find that chambering the bass is going to effect the tone as much as it does the weight. I agree that the Piezo will pull out the higher harmonics. I would think that warmer toned woods would be good for a piezo equipped bass. I would imagine that a piezo on a bass like ehque mentioned would sound like and icepick breaking glass.

I have to say though I'm not sure what wood combination is going to give you higer harmonic content.
  8. I'm confused. As far as I know, Black Limba isn't an especially bright wood. It's simmilar to mahogany which is a very warm toned wood :meh: