1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wood & Wire

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bluewine, Apr 29, 2010.

1. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    Sure, it's nice to have a well crafted expensive bass.But what are you really paying for?

I was at Cream City Music the other day over my lunch hour.I was playing a 2,000.00 Lake Land. It looked great and it felt nice and the sound was good. So was the 149.00 Squire Mustang bass.

I guess I am no one to talk, I have 9 basses, I play all of them.I usually bring 2-3 to every show.

2. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    There's a lot of reasons for owning expensive basses but if your not hearing and feeling the difference between a $200 bass and one costing 10 times that there's really little reason for owning one, IMO, and hey....there's nothing wrong with that! Seriously!! A lot of musical styles really don't require a whole lot more than a solid tone with a playability level high enough to make the player comfortable and that certainly can be had for $149.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Yup, if someone were unable to feel the difference between a $2000 bass, and a $200 bass, it would be pointless spending all that money. Otoh, if you're like me, all those (sometimes) subtle "extra's", including the finish, are all worth the price.

4. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    I can feel the difference between porsche and a ford.....but that doesn't make me a good driver nor does it require me to buy a porsche.

5. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    but for me, driving the porsche, actually a Jaguar XK, and playing the Rob Allen is far more inspiring.

The car/bass feels great, sounds great, looks great. Though may I suggest you don't really want to drive/play either one in the snow.

Neither car or bass makes me more attractive or drive/play better.

They do however make me more cheerful. Here's a photo of the Cat and the (Rob Allen) Mouse...

(BTW before i get nasty comments, the photo was for a post about the only bass that will fit in the car's tiny trunk.:ninja:)

catandmouse1.

6. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    And yet, I'm not impressed. How about some clips of the bass? and a picture of your wife? :D

7. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    The funny thing is that Jag is just about as close as you can get to a cross between a Ford and Porsche:ninja:....still much nicer than my car though and I would love ownership of it.
    (of course this Jag is ALL Jag, nothing much Ford about it. I couldn't resist the irony, sorry!)

8. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    personally, I'd rather ride my bike, and spend the rest on helping people.
    ...but as the world has it......I'm not rich and very bitter about it.

9. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    A killer Rob Allen AND a Jaguar?

Hmmm... my life sucks just a little bit more than I thought this morning...

10. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Fortunately I don't recall putting "impresssing people" on my list. Just responding to the Porsches and Bootique bass metaphor. My choice of basses (or car or spouse) are not some sort of symbol of class struggle, social currency or ego-boost. That I'll save for my third wife.:)

11. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :facepalm:

12. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    My soda came out my nose...fortunately they're more latter than the former. Weird car fact: the Indian company Tata owns Jaguar now.

Back to the original post. I have a very understated MIM Fender P-Bass that's one of my favorite basses. Play whatever makes you smile

13. richnota

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Do i come off as bitter? Hope not. BTW I'd rather ride my bike too!

14. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I've played squiers that kick the alembic (that I played) butt. Honestly I didn't think the alembic was that good. Sometimes cheap basses kick ass.

15. Dan B

Dan B

Oct 19, 2008
    Pittsfield, MA
    This.

I played a $2000 Fender '62 RI Jazz, MIA. To me it felt very clunky, and uninspiring. I picked up a Squier '51 CV that was next to it and the CV just blew away the RI.

Granted the RI was on the store's rack for a long while, and it needed a setup badly, but so did the CV. And for what it's worth, the CV just felt better than the RI.

All depends on how it's setup and what the player wants.

16. squirefan

squirefan

Nov 22, 2009
    Lansing, Ks.
    I have a Ford pickup with two fenders, a Fender with two pickups, and a Thunderbird, but it isn't a Ford.

17. JoshuaTSP

JoshuaTSP

Sep 26, 2008
    :lol:

18. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    My two cents, since we've already brought up basses and wives in the same thread...

You can't really pick who you fall in love with. You might have a laundry list of features you want for the ideal mate (blonde, intelligent, thin, wealthy, etc.) but sure as heck, the one person who really "gets to you" may be the average-looking woman who catches you out morning-walking the dog in your flip-flops with your hair uncombed. Totally off guard, "the one" takes you by surprise. And your looks and laundry list of "qualifications" goes out the window.

Just the same way, you have a laundry list for a custom bass, the imagined ideal perfect bass (spalted top, aggie preamp, custom-wound pickups, hand-harvested by aborigines wood, etc.), but sure as heck, you wind up at a session, pick up a flat-black finish bass with missing knobs and a rusty bridge and you know that this is the greatest thing you've ever played.... totally off guard, you are taken by surprise. And the "custom features" list is again thrown out the window because this bass is "the one".

It has nothing to do with the price of the instrument, it has to do with how that instrument and whether it "fits" with your hands, ears and heart.

19. lowphatbass

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Alembics can be very unforgiving, the tone controls aren't exactly easy to dial-in and that's an understatement, believe me I own one.

20. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    This may be the best way I've ever seen this truth expressed. You, sir, have earned yourself a cookie. Or a fine cigar. I'd give you either if I could.