Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wood

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by stedtale, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Anyone else dig Chris Wood?

I just brought back out, after a few years of dust collecting, my MMW stuff. I'm listening to Combustication right now, I'm in love again...don't tell the wife:eek:

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    I love Chris Wood :) If you dont have their new one, go check out End of the World Party, its awesome. He's also been on several other recording projects. He has a track on the Gov't Mule disc The Deep End Vol 1 with John Scofield. He was also on Scofield's A Go Go with the other two M's :) Also did a project called Unity Jam from New York 11-20-01. Im sure there are more that I dont have. I want to check out the Wood Brothers as well, but havent had a chance yet.

3. Cool, I have A Go Go. Does he have his own website so I can find out all of his projects and when he may be near?

4. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Chris is amazing!

I'm pretty good friends with Oliver, his brother. They did a duet gig and Oliver sang (like Taj Mahal) to debut prior to the release of their latest album... and it was packed like sardines in there. If anyone gets the oppty to hear the Wood Brothers album, do it!

On another note... Oliver's group (king johnson) is amazing, they all live and gig around the Atlanta Area! Check them out as well!

5. I will have to hear the Wood Brothers for sure.

thanks!

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    WOW, they are talented!!!

I listen to Chris often. I've got everything MMW ever released as well as the stuff he's played on by Scofield.

7. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Yeah, see what I'm talking about?

My best friend Dave Tunkel (upright player) has a regular duet gig with Oliver on Tuesdays in Decatur (@ the Javamonkey) and it's called TunkelWood... that is, when Oliver is in town.

8. TunkelWood, beautiful!

Hope they make it up my way someday.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    They (TunkelWood) are pretty much a regional thing, King Johnson are national... google them and see when they hit your town.

...You know I saw on a site somewhere that Chris Wood just received a Cliff Bordwell 4 stringer with in the last few months. Anybody heard it on a MMW gig yet?

10. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Be sure to check him out on Karl Denson's Dance Lesson #2 - he lays down some sick grooves on that one. I know I'm forgetting some but other guests include Maceo Parker, Charlie Hunter & Melvin Sparks ...

12. Maceo, sweet. I love his sax/drum solo on Shake Everything You've Got on Life on Planet Groove. I will have to check out Denson.

Thanks!!

13. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.

I read a post someplace that someone did see him playing it at a show. Im pretty sure it was on TB, but no idea what thread hehe.

14. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    oh ok, just curious... it looks like a killer bass. I have heard him with his upright/s, the Stambaugh and a P bass.

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Ya id like to hear it too. They havent come my way since he got it though unfortunantly :crying:

16. man, everytime I see this thread I think it is about me, well hope. Thinking it would be foolish

17. YES!! I've been waiting to find a group of people who actually like Chris, as well as MMW, and The Wood Brothers. All great music, and hes a great player. Awsome on the upright, just as good on bass guitar. For those of you who havent yet, make sure to check MMW live next time they tour in any of any of your areas. The music is awsome and some of the coolest people you'll ever meet often show up (like me...:D )