1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by towsonbassist, Aug 25, 2007.

1. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    Im building a bass and I am planning to use Lacewood. Does anyone know of any companies that would stock lacewood (for a reasonable price). I can get a 2piece blank 21inx14inx1.75 in for 125 USD but I'd like to have a solid piece.

Also, has anyone ever used lacewood? I heard it has a medium density and is relatively lightweight.
    Thanks!

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Is it toxic? I think it may be a toxic wood - maybe very toxic, so please take appropriate precautions.

Edit - Maybe not all too toxic. Looks to be about the same as most woods.
    From the woodbox:
    Be careful when working with it as the sawdust can cause skin irritation or respiratory problem. This is especially true if the wood is green.

Also, what about using the 2 pieces for "wings" - attaching them to a through-neck?

3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    I don't think I've ever seen a one-piece Lacewood body blank... do they grow to be that large?

4. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    Well the problem is I'm planning to order a neck from Warmoth, then build the body. Is making the neck slot very hard?
    Whenever cutting wood I always use an apron and mask, just to be safe.

5. Not any more ....it's been sold. :( All our wood is first come first own. Lacewood in wide stock is very hard to come by because it's quartersawn to show the medullary ray figure.

Don't be concerned about toxicity, just use proper dust control and standard good sense working with wood. All wood dust is considered to be nasal carcinogenic in Australia and the USA.

6. towsonbassist

towsonbassist

Oct 15, 2006
    I found a local dealer that can try and order lacewood in that size, or do a 2 piece gluing for me, thanks for the help guys. When I get pictures, Ill post them

7. If you're really anywere near Towson, there's a place in Timonium called Freestate Timbers, they may have some lacewood that you can actually set your hands on before you buy.