1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by GODSBASSMAN, Oct 2, 2009.

1. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    Any problem/concerns in using Bloodwood for a body?

2. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Im not an expert but i have seen posts here saying that bloodwood is a quite heavy wood

3. Gone

Gone

Mar 21, 2006
    Cape Town
    Jayda custom basses, builder
    +1

It'll probably be too heavy, but you could maybe chamber it

4. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    heavy and hard. its similar to purpleheart ( hardness and density) isnt it? there was a guy on here who made a bass almost completely out of purpleheart and he didnt seem very thrilled when he had to shape the body.

5. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    A great wood to work, but if you do not have your tools sharp be prepared for tear-out.

Is a Bloodwood top an option?

6. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    :eek: I thought you liked light basses? :D

7. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I just milled two fingerboards out of bloodwood...looks great, and is literally twice the weight of the maple fingerboards that I have in inventory. That stuff is heavy, no lie.

Lonnybass

8. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    great for fingerboards I love the stuff.......t

9. Dream Weaver

Dream Weaver

Jul 11, 2009
    OH
    As they already said... HEAVY stuff to say the least. I think as a laminate top it wouldn't be so bad, but a solid body would be rather cumbersome.

Tears and chips quite a bit. I was sharpening my chisels constantly when I had to do anything by hand. Even then, I had to take super small passes to work it especially on the end grain. Scrapers worked ok on it, but dulled them rather quickly.

Routes really well though. With a good bit you can chew through it no problem. This was after just two small passes on a cover plate. =/

[​IMG]

Dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty dirty wood......... the fine dust from it gets eeeeverywhere and clings. There is this thin pink film on just about everything in my work shop that hasn't been rigorously vacuumed. If you are doing any major planing or sanding... I hope you have one heck of a dust collection system.

Nice looking wood though. =/

10. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    t,
    I do - just thinking and gathering ideas. Thanks to all for the info. Dream Weaver - nice pic.

11. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    bloodwood is my favorite. it would be sweet to see it used as a body. i currently use it for fingerboards, tops, neck lams, and i save all the little bits and pieces to glue them into areas like horns, and carve them in, for a unique look.