Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by skrabadonk, Apr 4, 2004.

1. I concidering making a hollowbodied electric. I got the construction figured out but I am a little uncertain about bending the sides. I have experience in woodbending but for other applications so I am wondering if anyone has an idea about how thick the sidewood can be in order to bend it properly. I'm using teak for the sides just because i happened to have some pieces to experiment with. The pieces are about 5 millimeters thick.

Can anyone understand what I am trying to say?
    Any ideas are welcome...
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    Don't look like they're busting down the doors and you said any ideas so this would probably be my approach in such a situation.

I'd see if I could locate somebody that's used teak for the sides of such a bass and find out what thickness they used (bending or no). If nothing there I'd probably locate a bass that's been built with a wood as similar in properties to teak as I could find and find out the thickness used. I'd also wonder why no one used teak if that's the case (but seems I've heard of teak being used for the sides of acoustic guitars).

Then I'd find some wood with reasonably similar properties, get it down to the desired thickness and practice bending with that. You don't want to be experimenting with the real thing. You'll no doubt learn plenty that will come in handy once you feel adequately prepared for the big show - and probably trash some teak in the process regardless.

For what it's worth.
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    Usually about 3/32" in thickness if I remember correctly...

Checkout acoustic guitar building books for tips and tricks on bending wood. The book by Bob Benedetto is a great read.