Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woodburst Over Existing Tung Oil Finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Justyn, Apr 12, 2004.

1. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    Hi everyone,

Just spent a while reading over old posts relating to tung oil as I''ve just purchased a bass made from Warmoth parts with an alder body that has been tung oiled. I'm wondering if I can use Woodburst Pure Color Transparent Stains over the existing finish to add a bit of color to the decidedly uninspiring look of the natual alder. Is this possible?

Alternately, I've been reading up on the Danish Oil Finish and I'm assuming that if I wanted to do that to my bass I'd have to strip the existing tung oil finish. Am I right on that? If so, what would I use to strip the existing tung oil finish? Sandpaper and elbow grease?

Okay...one more question while I'm at it. As I mentioned above, I'd like to do something colorwise. If the Woodburst option isn't viable, is there anything that can go over the existing tung oil finnish to add a bit of color? Or, if the proper route is to sand and start over, is the preferred method to stain the wood or fill the grain and then add color by suspending it in the laquer? I was reading last night in Melvyn Hiscock's 'Make and Build Your Own Electric Guitar' that staining an unfinished body is a bad idea because the end grain will soak up more stain than the rest of the body, so any advice on this is greatly appreciated!

Thanks much for all your time,
    J.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    While I've always been happy with Woodburst finishes, I never tried them over Tung - maybe you should contact the manufacturer?

It might be as simple as sanding or brass wooling the existing finish first. My concern would be that the current Tung finish is actually one of those Tung/Poly hybrids.

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I think it could be possible, but the stain might have trouble going into wood pores that are already full of oil, and you can never get oil totally out of the wood. just my two cents.
    r.h.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Syberslack, Woodburst is a little unusual - it's in a Tung oil base. It's not like most dyes, it's easier to control.

5. Justyn

Justyn Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2002
    Richmond, VA
    I emailed the manufacturer and he called me a few hours later (how cool is that?) and said that a bit of scuff sanding with 220 grit paper out to get the bass ready for the Woodburst application. Might do some testing first with some scrap wood to get an idea of what I'm doing.

Should be fun, though I'm also considering a Danish Oil finish.

J.