Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden bridge, bridge ground?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by budman, Mar 8, 2005.

1. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I made a wooden bridge for a project. I'm using a preamp. I don't think I really need a bridge ground. Do I? I should be able to ground everything inside the control cavity. If I do need a bridge ground, how would I?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    You'll get varying opinions. If you do a search here you should be able to come up with a thread (3-9 months ago maybe?) on why it is a very dangerous thing to have a bridge ground (despite the fact that 98% of guitars have it).

3. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    The purpose of a bridge ground is to turn you into a shield by grounding you when you touch the strings. So long as your pickups and control cavity are well shielded it should be fine.

If your pickups arn't well shielded and you still wan't to ground your strings, you could string through-body and put a brass plate under the ferrules which you should then ground with a 0.22uf cap in parallel with a 470k resistor (see grounding thread Pilot Jones/Peter Puleo mentioned).

4. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Thanks, fellers. Looked at the thread and I'm not going to mess with the bridge ground. I can't think of an easy way to do it with the design I came up with anyway. Everything should be cool.