Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden bridges

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Kraig99, Mar 25, 2002.

1. How would using a wooden bridge and the strings through the body would affect the tone and sustain of a bass? Would it depend on the type of wood used?

2. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    I have used wooden bridges, and will continue to on some of my fretless basses. They do give you more of that "upright tone", being less definition, and more of a "thud" sound. I wouldn't recommend them if you are wanting the "mwah" sound. The type of wood will effect the tone. I would recommend a very dense wood, since the wood will fluctuate and change your action.

I also use wood nuts on my fretless basses that match the fingerboard wood. It gives the open strings a closer sound to a "fretted" note.

3. Jisch

Jisch Supporting Member

If you're using a wooden bridge be aware that you will need to find another way to ground the strings (assuming magnetic pickups)

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    ....or not.

I have a wooden bridge (and tapewounds, for that matter) on my semi-hollow fretless. No effort was made to ground the strings; rather, a thorough shielding job has nearly eliminated all hum.

5. mapleglo

mapleglo Gold Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2013
    phoenix, az
    Yeah, I was surprised to find that grounding the strings is not necessary. I used to think it was a vital part of producing sound, but apparently not. An electric instrument plays just fine if the strings are not grounded, albeit a little noise in some cases.

I'm also intrigued that a thread started in 2002 can all of a sudden move forward in 2015 as if no time has passed, without even a hiccup.

ctmullins likes this.
  6. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Lol no doubt. I suspect the OP has probably worked it out in the ensuing 13+ years... :D

jg42, Hamish MacCleod and mapleglo like this.