Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden Knobs?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by John Ruiz, Sep 20, 2002.

1. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Does anyone know where I can get wooden tone knobs? I know that allparts used to sell them, and they may still, but I can't find anything about them on the website now... :confused:

2. stroy05

stroy05 Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Fodera Basses, Noble Amps, Aguilar Amps, JHAudio Inears
    All parts still do carry and sell the wooden knobs you are looking for. They have changed their website around some. It is under knobs. You will have to scroll through the pages to find them

3. Chambers

Chambers

Apr 9, 2002
    Vancouver, WA
    Luthiers merchentile also offers wooden knobs in rosewood and ebony. www.lmii.com

4. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
  5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Those are pretty Knobs.

How are the fastened to the shaft?

Pkr2

6. I thought they look nice also. From the second picture, it looks like they use helicoils and set-screws to fasten them. Do they made concentric stacked knobs, I wonder?

- Wil

7. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    there is a brass core that has a set screw to lock them in place on a solid shaft

Two of those knobs are stacked knobs

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Personally, I thought it was mean of Darrin to put up those cocobolo pictures.

Looks like you went wild at the wood store. Nice stuff.

9. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Are those brass cores available over the counter or do you have to fabricate them?

If they are available O.T.C., would you share the source?

Tnx in advance.

Pkr2

10. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    NICE Darrin! I would try to make my own, but I don't have access to a lathe, unfortunately. That would really be Ideal, because then I could choose the wood, shape, etc. rather than select some from a list.

Thanks for the link and info everybody!

11. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Its kind of mean whenever Darrin posts pictures of his work...

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I thought they would look nice on a wardrobe I have!! ;)

13. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    If only there were 5 of them I would be all over that! I am looking for something to compliment a Black Korina body with a Myrtle burl/flame top. That looks like it would have worked pretty well. I will have to keep an eye out on eBay!

14. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Why not contact the seller and see if he/she has more?

15. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I did, just awaiting a reply...:) Has anyone seen any birdseye maple knobs? I think that would be greatfor my bass! hmmm, another question for that seller... I might just find a lathe somewhere that I can use, but I have NO experience whatsoever with one, so I don't know how difficult it would be to get what I want, plus I don't know where to acquire the metal sleeves that I would want.

16. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
  17. I know, I know ancient thread resurrected. But as a dedicated recycler, I thought it better to post here rather than waste a new thread on a topic few will respond to or care about.

So, I want to make my own custom wooden knobs. I don't want set screws, hate em - they ruin the look for me. I want to use the split shaft press on type, but I am looking for the metal inserts. I found em in Canada but the company is out of stock and have been having trouble getting more in. And even if they get them in I have to buy a bag of a gazillion. If you have any you are willing to sell, I only need a handful. 10 would be perfect.

Would appreciate it if you would skip the self-engineered "cobb" solutions from the hardware store. Not interested. I want the real deal. These:

1010blatAA3.JPG

Thanks....

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  18. I wonder if there are any inexpensive and readily available plastic knobs with brass centers that a person could salvage the metal center out of for the purpose of making any kind of custom knob. Extra work, but it might be a way to avoid having to buy the part in quantity. I have not done a search for this, so maybe it's a bad idea.

19. Hey Hoochie

Pretty much all of the push-on plastic knobs I see are all plastic.

Not a big deal on the gazillion - it's $6 bucks for 40. Just can't find them anywhere currently....I have searched and searched and searched. Perhaps I am not searching on the right keywords, but I sure haven't hit on anything.

These are the good folks in Canada who are out of stock and have been trying to score more of them for me:

Screen Shot 2016-08-27 at 10.42.03 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016