Wooden Nuts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ChaosGwar, Aug 7, 2002.

1. Wow, that just sounds wrong. :rolleyes:

Anyway, :D I have plenty of scrap wood left over from my bass body, and was thinking about using some to make a nut.

Would Walnut or Ash be a good wood to construct a nut?
  2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    I vote walnut!!

the harder the wood , the beter the nut ;-)

3. Ok, I was leaning toward the walnut. I just wanted to make sure it would work good.
  4. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Actually, ash is normally harder than even Black Walnut! Around 520 Janka for the ash vs around 460 for the walnut.

And...the harder, the better!
  5. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Walnut and ash are both pretty soft for a nut. My guess is that either will wear too fast and/or split under the tension.
  6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hickory or hornbeam would be the softest I'd consider.

Splitting, however, is more an issue of design, i.e. how the nut grooves are made, than one of hardness.
    And I would strongly recommend a zero-fret! If the instrument is fretted... Then the down force on the nut is neglectable, as is the split risk and actually also the wear - almost, anyway.
  7. Cool, thanks for the info. I'll probably go ahead and get a precut graphite instead. I just didn't want to waste the wood scraps I have, but I'll find another use for them.
  8. Jon Maghini

Jon Maghini Commercial User

Aug 15, 2002
    USA Terryville CT.
    Owner / Builder M Basses
    Ebony is always my first choice for wooden string nuts it is a hard wood and it has been used for years for nuts on string basses