Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden p-up covers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FaBu-, Aug 31, 2004.

1. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    How can I get wooden pickup covers on a custom bass? I'm getting Bartolinis on a 7 string bass and I'd like tem to have covers made of spalted walnut... So can I order it straight from Bartolini like that or must the luthier make it by himself or how does it work? And how much will it cost?

Thanks in advance.

:bassist:

2. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    I doubt very much that you could order them from Bartolini. You'd probably need to get someone make some for you. It wouldn't necessarily need to be a luthier either. I made some for a bass I made and they're not too difficult if you've got a bit of woodworking skill.

3. FaBu-

FaBu-

Jan 16, 2004
    Finland
    Ok. I guess I could make them myself, but could you give me some advice on the matter? Should it be carved from a block of wood or made of some thin wood "vaneer" (dunno the word in wnglish:/)? And how about the original cover? Can it be left under the wooden one? I've heard that its impossible to remove the original covers from Barts because the pickups are boiled in or something... Please help me :hyper:

4. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Uhm... I know this post is 2.5 years old, but it was never answered and I have the same questions (the last one actually) :bag:

5. I had the same question a while back and if you do a little searching you'll probably run into the same threads I did. You can find some examples of how to make wooden covers and who can make them for you if you wish.

It's true about the barts though. They are epoxied so you can not remove the covers. The only option is to veneer the top of the pickup. Doesn't look that great IMO. It also puts the pickups further from the strings and it may affect the sound somewhat.

6. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I looked into this for custom (birdseye maple) covers for a set of Nordstrand DC's. I was told by carey (@ Nordstrand) that they would build the covers and that I would have to special order the pickups "without" covers from a Nordstrand vendor. I guess who ever was installing them would put them together. Why They couldn't build the entire pick up (sense they were making them without covers to send to a vendor) I didn't understand. The covers would have been $100 each + the price of the pups + installation. Hence, I have stock Nord DC's.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    $100 each for Birdseye, WOW I guess I am cheap, I need to jack up my prices....LMAO NOT!!! $100 each seems a bit extreme for wood covers, I guess if you're Carey Nordstrand, you can charge that....LOL