1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooden pickguards/control plates?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KingRazor, May 12, 2011.

1. I've seen one or two pictures of them on Jazz basses and I've been considering a Jazz like that.

I know I want a Jazz with a goncalo alves neck and pau ferro fingerboard. But I've had a hard time picking the right body wood to go with them.

I didn't want to do a fancy figured wood because it would just be covered up by the pickguard and control plate (I consider the pickguard and control plate to be necessary for the "jazz look" and don't like how they look without them).

But, my usual preference for an LPB finish just doesn't seem like it would fit with those neck woods.

So I'm thinking of using a body wood that will compliment the neck woods, and then have the pickguard and control plate also made of either the same wood or a good complimentary wood.

Any ideas on what woods to use? Also, any pics of Jazz basses with wooden pickguards would be a nice source of inspiration...and eye candy. :D

2. Took me a while, but I finally found a picture of what I'm looking for:

naturaljazz.