Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden Pickup Cover and Knob Makers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 22, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've found one link to guy who makes wooden knob covers in the JP Basses link page, but does anyone know of any other wooden pickup cover and knob makers?

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Hi Brian...

Roger at THG knobs is a cool guy. Tell him I sent you if you cantact him.

About the wooden pickup cover, coulf you be more specific? what pickups do you want to use?

Maybe I can help you...

JP

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I'm having a six-string built with Bartolini soapbars (still in very early stage), and I'm pretty sure the luthier doesn't make wooden covers so I wanted to look around to see what price ranges were and such. I've seen many beautiful customs out there with wooden covers, but it seems most are made by the builder of the bass and I haven't found anyone who provides them piecemeal yet.

4. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Ah...

your problem here is that bartolini pickups are epoxy sealed so if you want to add a wooden cover, you will have to have to had length, width and height to you pickup unless you can have some uncovered barts coming from bill!

JP

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you should ask your builder first. Chris Benavente carves some nice ones for the basses he builds!

[​IMG]

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    The Elrick in my avatar has Aero PUPs and wood covers from Aero, I don't know if they make them for other brands though.

7. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Ditto Aero and THG knobs. I am having some Aero's mae with wooden covers right now actually!

8. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Aero will supply pickups that are not cast in epoxy or delrin. They will also do the *inside* routing in a block of wood that you supply. Your luthier takes care of the finish carving, if he is willing.

But, JP is correct. I don't know if Bartolini will sell you an uncast pickup. In that case, someone would have to make a wood casing for the casing, and that moves the bobbins away from the strings, so you lose output.

9. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Hmmm...well thanks for the info! I like the looks of the wooden pickup covers, but I also love the sound of Barts and it's definitely not worth losing some sound quality in order to get them.

10. i would kill for a set of wooden covers for my jazz bass.

11. jacochops

jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    If you call Scott Lentz at Lentz guitars, I believe (legal disclaimer) he apparently knows the guy who makes the beautiful wooden covers for a very well-known high-end bass company out of New York City that shall go unnamed.

12. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I know a number of company's, one mentioned or not mentioned above and others that install Bartolini's in wood covers.

Just make sure the top if nice and thin and you might take off the raised Bartolini before sinking it into the wood cover, but everyone I've played no matter build has sounded fine.

13. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    brian,
    how do they do it? rip out the guts from the existing plastic cover?

i wanted to do this a long time ago, but gave up cuz i thought the plastic cover to my bart MM pickup was pretty much stuck.

who are the companies?

thanks.

14. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Fodera, not mentioned above :D uses Bartolini in wood covers. Ray Rogers has done a number of Bartolini J in wood covers. Its no different then Carl Thompson putting EMG's under wood covers, which I've seen a number of times.

The top is thin and it doesn't affect the mag to string much at all. With a Bartolini its not a flat top because of the raised Bartolini, so just cut that off. You just have to be carefull not to cut into the pickup.

15. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    thanks brian... i get it. and that gives me some ideas... i really wanted to try making my own pickup covers... :p