Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wooden Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sandman1278, Oct 22, 2005.

1. I've seen pics of basses with wooden pickups but never could understand how such a thing worked, just curious what is with wooden pickups?

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I think it is the covers you are looking at.
    Inside you will still find magnets and wire on bobbins

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

definetly wood covers - not cheap and simply an appearance item.

4. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

If you decide you want wood pickup covers, I believe Roger at THG Knobs can custom make them to order. They are not inexpensive, however.

George

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh wood is an insulator and won't conduct anything unless it's wet.

Hambone in the TB luthiers forum has by far the best prices I've seen on them and they pretty much have to be custom made to be done right. For the most part it would entail placing a J shaped pup into a soap routing (or routing the bass) cause you're probably not going to get a wood cover thin enough to take a pup to fit the routing with the existing pup/route otherwise.

I have a pair of Jim Cairnes pups that came with wood covers that are J's in a wood soap cover.

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Many of the Early Hofner's had wooden pick up covers.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sorry I can't resist posting mine. :hyper:
    [​IMG]

Those are Di Marzio Alchemy 101. Awesome pickups. They came stock with a mahogany cover.

8. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Of course, nothing is conducted through the pickup covers, which is why this (or the cheap plastic that a lot of the pickups are covered with) isn't a problem. Magnetic induction is what happens through the pickup cover, so the material simply needs to be something that will not interfere with the magnetic field. Other than that the only impact the covers have is in limiting how close you can get the magnets to the strings.