1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wooden Wizard Guitars Lefty 5 Build

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsimy, Jun 27, 2012.

1. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I posted this up on the lefty forum as well. I'm pretty psyched about this new custom lefty 5 from Larry at Wooden Wizard Guitars. Those that don't know him, he's a monster with major repairs, great refinishing, and just about anything else in the repair luthier realm. Larry's a straight shooter as well and I always appreciate that about him.

Photos of the latest build and a link to the build as it progressed to completion this week. Enjoy...

Wooden Wizard Guitars - Featured Guitar

Attached Files:

2. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    more pics...

Attached Files:

3. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Larry has my Warmoth Gecko right now!! He will be getting a few more from me soon as well. I drove 7 hours from NC to go to him and it was well worth the whole trip! Larry is one of the best in the business!!

4. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    I saw it. I picked it up. It's got Dave's pickups in it. All I can say is, I wanted a Gecko 5 with a Wenge neck once I picked yours up. Awesome bass JP. Excellent decisions as well !!

5. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Thanks Isimy!! Glad you liked it! I saw yours and Larry showed me what all he was doing to it and VERY IMPRESSIVE!! Your wood choice was amazing too! Man I cannot wait to get mine back!! I was VERY pleased with Davids pickups and Larry really liked them too! He called last week and was waiting on the custom strings for it! I'll be heading up around July 16th to pick it up! I am actually in the process of putting another bass together for him to set up. This one will be the Warmoth Deluxe Jbass 5 string. I am going with a Walnut body and Wenge laminate top with Wenge neck and custom choice Macassar ebony fretboard. Im going to get Larry to do all the finish work on it and all the routing as well. Then have him machine all the hardware and even the neck onto the body! And yes David will be building the pickups for that one too!! He has a new humbucker version Jazz pickup I want bad!!

6. This may seem like an odd request but, could you post a pic of the back of the bass? That way I can get an idea of how the body shape would look as a right-handed bass. lol
    Hey, whatever works....... Thanks.

7. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    jp that dual coil jazz pickup of Dave's will be really nice. Using 2 of them will give you switching options out the yinyang without even using a preamp ! Again some very cool choices there.

Mills, I will get you a back shot. It will be getting a new cover so it maybe without the cavity cover for this photo.

8. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Mills, here is a body back shot. I'm sorry I don't have a bigger one. This one has a cover on it that matches the top just for fun. I also took the body front photo and flipped it for you as if it were a righty. Hope this helps !

Attached Files:

9. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    YOOOOOO VINNY!!!! You neck came in today at Larrys!!! That is going to be a killer 12!!! Gotta see that! Im looking now for a Jazz Bass Body without the neck pocket and going to get the same exact neck you did!! Larry is doing all the custom work including the hardware!! :hyper:

10. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    We are pretty fired up about trying the 12 with that body. It will be interesting and a fun project. I always wanted one !!

Hope the Gecko treats you well. A helluva build ! Loved it !! Let us know your thoughts on David's pickups as well.

11. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Just got home a while ago and plugged up the Gecko and :hyper: :D!!!!! Davids pickups are beyond words!! This thing is a damn monster!!! The ND3's are POWERFUL to say the least!! Larry is fired up about that build, and I'm next in line after you!!!

12. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Here is my Warmoth Bass that Larry Smoak at Wooden Wizard Guitars assembled for me. I was speechless when I put this thing in my hads and played it!! The pickups are SGD ND3 pickups made by David Schwab at SGD Lutherie. Larry and David conversed a couple of times and got this monster sounding unbelievable!!!

Attached Files:

13. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Great news on the bass and David's pickups !! That bass is even better in person. The neck is amazing !

14. jp8848

jp8848

Mar 15, 2012
    Hendersonville, NC
    Larry sanded it down and put lemon oil on it!! SUPER SMOOTH!!!! Glad you liked it too! Cant wait to see updates on yours!!!

15. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    For what it's worth I had Larry set up my lefty American deluxe jazz...wow! That's all I'll say. He did an incredible job on it

16. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    That's awesome to hear. I will post the 12-string conversion here once it is complete. I think it will be pretty unique looking using that body.