1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Woods for a new project" poll

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Matteo Marziali, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Padouk in the middle

14 vote(s)
    63.6%
  2. Silver Oak in the middle

8 vote(s)
    36.4%
  1. Hi all!
    While I'm waiting for the pickups of this bass currently in the works, I'm starting to think seriously about a new project:
    it will be a 5 strings fretless, neck is well under way, it is a single piece of Mahogany with Ebony fingerboard lined with red and light brown veneers, side bindings in Silver Oak with red veneers in between.
    The shape of this project was born to look like a CT, but now i'm thinking to slightly change the design and find a design more "personal"....
    But, damn! The CT 3D scroll is so hot!
    Probably i will create a new poll for the shape!

But here is the question:
    I get some woods: African Mahogany for body core, Padouk, Silver Oak (AKA Grewia robusta or Sycamore Platanaceae) and Pau ferro( AKA Morado) for top and back.
    It's a good palette, isn't it?
    I tryed to make a couple of render to figure how to put those woods on this bass.
    Which one do you like more?

I can also add some Ebony or some veneer (Red, Black, Maple...)

Fretlesswood_zps18eafcc5.

-1- FRETLESSwood22_zps0eafab2d.

-2- FRETLESSwood32_zpseaf0415c.

2. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    I really like the Padouk. The silver oak feels like a very large contrast to me, too much of one.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    2...whichever that one is.

4. I was leaning towards the oak because the padauk seemed like it might be "too much," but seeing it in your render mockup it actually balances out nicely.

5. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Padauk, hands down. It just fits better.

6. BAbaracus

BAbaracus

Mar 25, 2011
    Lynnville, IN
    I think the padouk looks incredible. Just a great looking wood.

7. miziomix

miziomix Über on my mind Commercial User

Sep 28, 2009
    Milan, Kuala Lumpur, Paris.
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    They are both interesting. I would change the headstock veneer in #2 to better complement the Oak though.

8. Yes, i will do a new mockup...

9. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    ;)

10. -2.2- FRETLESSwood32_zps8eefb1e7.

Here is 2.2 mockup!

Dunno... but Oak seems cheaper than Padouk...

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    As much as I hate working with Padauk...I vote #1....and better you than me. ;)

12. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    I think I like #2 but the head stock I am not a fan of with either woods. You may want to try a walnut vaneer on the head stock with the oak center. But I like the #2 body the best.

13. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Funny, I thought you would have replaced the Padauk veneer with Pau Ferro and kept the truss rod cover and logo in Oak.
    As is, I too feel it doesn't work as well as option 1, which is nice.

I just have the feeling that there is too much Oak in either combo. Oak adds a lot of contrast which kinda fights with the way the others woods are complementing each other - to my eye, at the very least. Padauk brings out the reddish hue of the African Mahogany while Pau Ferro introduces a darker, more brownish tone, providing a nice backdrop to the stark Ebony fingerboard. Each wood both blends in and adds a different nuance to the whole.

Just as an example, I would go with #1 and replace the Oak with Purpleheart. The Oak could provide accent lines and frame the p-up casings as you have already envisioned in your renderings. You could even throw a bit of Bocote (knobs? jack plate?) to spice things up :D

ciao,

Maurizio

14. Black Walnut and Pau Ferro ar quite similar, as color i mean, and i don't wanna put too many differents woods in this project, so i put some Pau Ferro on the headstock with little accent of Padouk in the sides...
    I think it's too dark... Probably could be better with a Padouk TR cover.
    -2.3- FRETLESSwood3-3_zps23b6b3c0.

Your thoughts made ​​me think of something different: Pau Ferro in the middle, two thin Oak stripes, Padouk in the sides, and some Oak accents around. Could be a good idea?

About Purpleheart: i don't have it! It could be a great combo! But i'm not sure about add another wood.
    About Bocote: i have some small pieces, and i can use it, but it's very similar to Pau Ferro

15. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Did you consider Padauk logo/TR cover over Pau Ferro HS veneer?

I second that :D

I might have some left over from the Primavera/Purplehart build at hand. They will be (very) small pieces though. But if you like I can mail them to you.

Yes, Bocote and Pau Ferro can look quite alike. I fully understand if you don't wish to add many woods. It's a sentiment I usually subscribe to.

I just thought that, since you like Mr. C T's work, that could be a direction. The man can put together a dozen different and (more to the point) not so different woods and make them look as if they grew together :D

16. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    I like 2.3.

17. well after seeing the change i like number 2 better

18. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    2.3 is the best

19. -3- Fretless30_zps7c174eca.
    New mockup! But... i really don't like it...:rollno:

Thanks for your offer! Let me think about.

I love Thompson works, and often i love how he puts differents woods together, but... i'm not Mr.Thompson! I have not his experience and his sensibility! :smug: I want to try to make ""simple"" things

20. miziomix

Sep 28, 2009
    Bass builder @ MüB.
    Actually, I like 3 :D I would use Ebony for the truss rod cover though. But 2.3 is good and #1 is still a great combo. Cool. Now you've got something to lose more sleep over ;)