1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"Woods of the Trade"

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Woodpecker, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Hi there to all of you.

Just thought I'd "drop a line" and tell yuo guys what I've been up to lately.
    I've been gathering info on different wood species used in electric bass guitar building, it can be found here: http://koti.mbnet.fi/bassment/
    Yeah, I know I know. I just had to stir up the hornets nest once again didn't I :smug:
    If someone has something to add, edit, idea of improvement, better pictures or comment, go ahead...

Cheers,

"Woody Woodpecker" :)

2. Thank you for sharing this knowledge :). I think it's one of the more complete and detailed lists I've seen. Great job! :bassist:

3. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    i just use pine from home depot.. glue together some 2x4s then cut them to shape

4. You do?! You gotta tell me more! :)
    I've been thinking about that too, I've got some plain planks of pine myself "all dried up" and been meaning to start selecting some pieces for a body.
    I don't think pine would be so bad at all, it's cheap and chearfull, and a breeze to work with. But how does it sound?

5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Very cool info! Thanks for sharing!

6. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    now you've gone and done it - when Wilser reads this he's gonna be ticked!

I'd hurry to delete all references to mid-range tonality before his people come looking for you while you're sleeping. if they do catch you off guard, be assured you'll get an object lesson on the impact that various hardwoods have on the tonal properties of numchucks :ninja:

:bag:

all the best,

R

7. It's a good thing I'm over here in Finland, a long-long way from Wilser and his people. ;)
    I wonder what Wilser's respons to the "mid-hump" characteristics of pine would be...

8. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    his people are everywhere, thrust me, theyve seen this thread, and theyre watching you, right now

9. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    ...yep they have a worldwide spy web... if I were you I would hide right now!!! :p

10. It's ok. I read last week (April 1 in fact) that he's given up building for a fulltime career as a Chippendale dancer. The mid hump is probably even more useful there.

11. anon65884001

anon65884001 Guest

Feb 1, 2009
    Wow,
    This is great
    I was going to make one just like this,
    And you got it :D
    This is the best one i've seen on WWW so far
    Thank you for this

12. Sorry guys, I cant hear you. I've gone so deep under ground to hide from Wilser and his people that I'm probably half-way to China by now ;) Just kidding...

Thx. Speaking of Wilser, it makes one wonder why he hasn't put something like this together? He certainly would have the know-how about the subject, at least that's the impression I've got about him.

Anyone got something to add, comments, pics, other species, etc... ?