Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woods on Ebay

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tufnuts, Dec 10, 2001.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Dave - I've been looking at the eBay woods for quite some time (ever since I committed to a custom).

From what I've learned, IMO, the biggest caution is - "how?", or "is?", the wood properly dried??? This all-important aspect of instrument wood isn't mentioned in eBay descriptions, for the most part. One of the best things about buying from an established, "no auction," source is that they are very explicit about their drying processes.

That isn't to say that there aren't great woods offered there at great prices. Those you're looking at may well be fine. One thing about that seller's woods - the seller doesn't over-rate the wood figurings as do some of the eBay wood sources.

I've seen some of those eBay wood sources grossly over-rate their figurings. Some of them even make up their own figuring terms/combinations. And I've seen claimed "bookmatch" boards that don't even look like they came from the same tree.

As always, the "seller rating" axiom of eBay applies, too.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Okay, here's my question: This spalted gum lumber, wormy chestnut, and mesquite woods, are these good tone woods? I've always associated mesquite wood with barbecues, smokehouses, etc.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The "spalted gum" could be a range of woods, since there are many gums, and since getting wood to spalt can be done by humans. So, I don't know which specie you mean. If you mean blue gum, like notduane's Rob Allen, that's a clear winner.

The wormy chestnut may be okay if it wasn't the sole wood used. I'm a little leery of it because almost all of it comes from old lumber used for other purposes. The wood, "American chesnut," is almost extinct due to a natural pestilence in the early 20th century (the reason for the "worms"). It's coarse, light, and has very low shock resistance like basswood.

If it's southern chestnut, that's a different story. That's like ash.

As for mesquite, I'd leave that to burn under a rack of spareribs.

Your luthier knows best about the specific wood/log they have available.

4. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I'm with you on that mesquite suggestion!:p

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I'd use mesquite anyway...if it didn't sound right, steak time... :)