Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woods users: what cab?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Reuben, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Reuben

Reuben

Aug 8, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hello bass folk,

I bought a Walter Woods Ultra amp head last year and am running it through a Flite Sound 1x12. I've never been 100% into the sound of this cab, and mainly use it for the incredible portability.

At this point I'm willing to trade back a little of the portability for better tone. I'm interested in hearing from other WW users about their experiences.

thanks!
    Reuben

2. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I've only used my WW with a LDS 2x8 3-way. Sounds pretty nice to me....

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It depends on a lot of things, but I've found I can get a decent sound out of just about any cabinet. I like 12" speakers for The Bass and 15" for slab and the BassZooka. I'm using a BagEnd 15" and an Ampeg PB112H. The Ampeg does incredible in its weight class, and I'm dying to try the 12" version of my Bag End for Bass.

4. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    A Bag End 1x10 is also worth checking out, if you don't have high volume needs.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yeah -- don't like the sound of 10" speakers, though. No warmth IME. Just a lot of mid and hi-end, and a lot of boom from the cabinets that have been voiced to make up for the lack of bottom from the driver.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
  7. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Perhaps I could be swayed by that thinking but a properly voiced well balanced cabinet with multiple small drivers is still my favorite sound.

I think the EA VL210 sounds very musical and balanced. I can't make it sound boomy. Its warm and articulate, has lots of midrange and boy it can move some air.

An SVT 810 will knock you over with low end. Warm and articulate at the same time. Not vented at all. Not a useful DB cab for most people. To damn loud and big. It is the benchmark for multiple driver arrays making huge sounds.

I've used 18's 15's 12's 10's and 8's. In properly made cabs the 10's are articulate and have a ton of low end. In cheap badly designed cabinets they can sound atrocious just as Ray suggests.

To me 15's tend to be slow moving and under stressful loads can loose upper mids trying to move low end. 15's coupled can get muddy in a hurry. 18's are worse. 12's are a mixed bag. Almost to big for a vented multiple driver box. Pretty decent in single driver cabinets. I can't imagine using a single 8 or 10. I think acoustically my bass can play louder and put out more low end than a single 8 or 10.

I prefer multiple small drivers for articulation and the low end that results from coupling. I used 210's for years until I found the 2x8.

The VL 208 is my current favorite cab even though it tends to be low end heavy. It is supremely warm. I prefer it over a single 10, 12 15 or a 210 for the DB. It articulates the bottom end of the bass and drives the band really well. It's loud enough with the Woods to carry my DB next to a Hammond B3 with a Leslie.

I haven't tried every cabinet yet so I'm sure I can be swayed by others experience.

Having said all that every cabinet I've plugged my Woods into sounded really good. I don't think you can screw it up.

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Could be the multiple driver thing. I haven't played through many of them. I guess I was talking single-driver cabinets. That Ampeg 8x10" is a great, great slab cab.

I had a Hevos with a 400W single 10". You could pump that thing up pretty freakin' loud. Tom Bowlus has that one in his collection now.

9. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    What doesn't he have in his collection. I should wake him up and have him weigh in on this one.

10. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm sure the earth wobbles a bit on its axis due to his pile of stuff.

11. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    I've used EAcxl 112s for Fender and EAvl208 or Acme B1 for upright and am very happy with all. Not crazy about cxl112 with upright so if I had to choose just one cab I might go with an EA wizzy to get warmth and clean sound.

12. bassame

bassame

Mar 25, 2004
    Brooklyn NY
    Flite Sound 1x10, and when you need more volume, two of 'em.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    LOL! Actually, I was awake Phil (as you noted, apparently! :p), but I didn't get over hear to check out this thread.

The WWU is, indeed, a great amp with a variety of cabs. Pairing it up with Ray's old Hevos Midget (a 4 ohm cab) makes for a ludicrously loud rig for its size. By far, the loudest "mini rig" I have ever put together. I've used just the WWU and Midget with two guitar half stacks and a loud drummer, and I was able to keep up, even on a low B (barely, but still, this is a loud band). It is a fine cab for upright, too, but if you want warmth, then a Wizzy or VL-208 is perhaps a better bet.

One "classic" (IME/IMHO) pairing with the WWU would be the Bergantino HT112 (with or without the EX112). Berg cabs and Woods heads just go together, in my book. Two VL-208's with the WWU is another phenomenal setup, especially for the size.

Some other cabs which I believe sound great on upright when driven by a WWU include the CxL-112, NL-210, VL-110, Epifani T-110UL (now UL110), Ashdown Mini 10T, Acme Low B-1, Raezer's Edge Bass 10 (I almost sold this cab before I tried it with the WWU - great combo!), and almost any LDS cab I have tried. The little 3-way 1x8 is great at lower volumes, and very revealing, but I find the 3x8 to be more tonally balanced and full.

I'm probably missing a couple...

Tom.

14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    The Walter Woods will work well with practically any cabinet. My preference is the LDS 2x8 for medium sized venues and the EA VL 108 for smaller venues.

Ric

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh yes, the VL-108! How could I forget that little beauty!

Tom.

16. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Since you have a Walter Woods Ultra the VL 108 would be a pretty
    small cabinet to connect to that head, and, since they stopped production on it they are harder to locate. I think it's only rated for 250 watts at 8ohms. It would certianly work, but you would have to play at moderate levels. Recently, the Epifani T-110 has been getting a lot of praise on TalkBass. Once agian, it's a pretty small cabinet for the Ultra.

Ric Vice

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    True. Caution is your friend. Doubling up on these cabs (two VL-108's, or two UL110's) is a good idea, IMHO.

Tom.

18. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    ? Just don't crank it to the point of distortion.

19. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I use the GK 112MBX, but my primary consideration is portability. That said, I do like the sound.

20. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I have not played through a bevy of cabs like several of the cats who have posted so far (I am envious!).

But FWIW I am really happy with my EA Wizzy. IMO it works really well with both DB and slab, especially if you like a certain fullness or thickness in your sound (think "old school"). It's warm and full, but it still sounds very precise to me. Never heard one paired w/ a WW though.

Tom B., I read your big nod toward the WW and Bergie pairing above, but is the WW + Wizzy comparable perhaps?