Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

woods with different pre can it be done?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Hi

I own a walterwoods amp it has 2 imput channels (it is not a stereo amp) each one has its own effects loop.

For its size and convienience I love the amp I double so I put the upright into one channel and the electric in the other (Ive heard thier even voiced for this) For me this is why I own this amp .Im not really jumping out of my skin with pride over my electrics tone though.

Can I run a different pre (thinking kern) into the effects return of channel 1 and still be cool with the Upright on channel 2.

Im thinking I could put it in a shallow 4 space rack with a furman or a tuner and come in a about 20 lbs.

If I could pull that off I would be veary happy :D

thanks

AJ

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I don't see why not. The gain on the woods would have to be set very low, to about unity gain.

Do they still make the Kerns anymore? I hear he stopped making them. I know I will never part with mine.

3. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    what is unity gain ? and this is the out put stage? So I wont have say over the out put voume relitive to channel 2. they bolth a have output volume controls.
    Ohhh I didnt relise that kern stoped prodution Mabye I can find one someday

AJ

4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Unity gain means 1:1, the output level matches the input level. This is often used for buffer amps.

I though about this more after my original post. I think you may not get the effect you want. It would depend on the effects loop of the Woods. Is it able to accept line-level (+4dB) input? If not the output on the Kern would be set so low that you would not get much of the tone from the Kern.

5. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Does any body know what the woods takes on the effects return? what are the possibilities?

AJ