Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woodshedding--Videos?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Charlie Quatro, May 8, 2001.

1. Hey all,
    Just got all new basses and a sweet rig.
    I've been out of circulation, at least live playing for a couple years.
    I'm planning to woodshed a couple months for I start auditioning for bands.

Any good experiences with instructional videos.

I have Alex Sklarevski's (Slapping) and Bill Dickens (that dudes a friggin' monster).
    I'm getting the Rocco Prestia one as well.

The problem with the Dickens tape is he plays all the examples at regular speed so you can't realy see what he's doing half the time.

I like to see the examples at lower speed then at normal speed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    C4

2. the two Billy Sheehan videos are pretty good IMHO-lots of helpful info and licks explained in detail/slowed down.
    (that's if you can endure the appalling hairstyles and bleached jeans/spandex of Sheehan and Wolf Marshall:D)

I'm not so happy about the Stu Hamm video I've got- "Deeper Inside the bass".
    it does have licks slowed down , but I think it's better to have someone interview the player rather than them explain their playing themselves- Stu Hamm seems awkward, and the production quality is a bit poor as well.
    it's also almost twice as expensive as each of the Sheehan ones.......

3. hey whats up MRT, are the sheehan tapes available? i haven't seen them around for a while.

i think we had this conversation about a year ago.

:D

4. No sign of the Sheehan 'Bass Secrets' video anywhere.

If anybody spots it let me know.

I'm not a huge fan but I'm sure I could pick up something usefull from it.

--C4

5. over here in the UK the Sheehan videos seem to be readily available eg. Rose Morris, and that other shop selling music books and videos in Denmark St..........but then they've probably been sitting on the shelves since '89/90.
    over here most bassists would consider it seriously uncool to be seen buying those vids......:D

6. I hear you brutha man!

I wouldn't want to be seen buying them either.

That's why I'm trying to get them on-line.

Even though they are tacky as hell I figure I could pick up something from them.

Thanks,
    C4