1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Woodslicer re-saw blades from Highland Woodworking

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Rodent, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Line™ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    Just curious if anyone here has used one of these re-saw blades and cares to comment:

http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=6075

Definitely a few interesting claims in the blade details.

I just received the 6" riser block and assy's for my Powermatic 14" this week, so I need to begin ordering new 105" blades. I can across this while doing a little web crawling research to see what's new in blades

all the best,

R

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    I think Carey Nordstrand is a big fan. I've never tried them.

3. Carey

Carey

Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
    Awesome blades! They don't last terribly long, but if you're resawing a $500 chunk of wood the $30 you spend on the blade is a pretty good value.

4. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    thanks for the speedy feedback! the posted info looked appealing, and it's good to hear some of y'all like them - even if they are short lived

I have a couple of different sizes/pitches heading my way.

all the best,

R

5. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I use them. I agree with Carey. They're really nice when they're brand new.

6. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    what should I anticipate for blade life if I'm predominantly re-sawing figured western maple flame/quilt tops of about 7-1/2" across and 22" long? More than 15 - 20 tops if the wood is free of mineral deposits?

all the best,

R

7. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    You might get that many. I'd say I probably get about 10 to 15 clean tops of varying woods along with cutting a bunch of small stuff with it per blade. I'm using the band saw more and more to rip stuff.

8. Scott French

Scott French Dude

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I think I am finally going to give these things a try. I need to eventualy resaw all that burl (although I know those resin spots will probably kill a blade pretty quick).

9. Rodent

Dec 20, 2004
    finally got to try it out ... and I can say that I'll be a repeat customer for sure. a little spendy, but definitely a superior cut to anything I've used to date

all the best,

R

10. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    Great blades!

11. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    you can always sharpen it again ... and again cant you?

12. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    costs more to re-sharpen a bandsaw blade then to replace it....by the way....Olson All Pro's are also very good blades, and last a good amount of time. I get about 40 passes per blade on 6 1/2 inch bloodwood and purpleheart, maybe a few less on cocobolo and bubinga.

13. I thought I'd also post my first impressions of these blades.

First, My bandsaw uses a non-standard 99.75" blade length, so it had to be custom ordered. They said 4-6 weeks, but it was actually 2 weeks. I sliced the still wet burl redwood I asked about on another thread. I can't believe how fast and accurate it was. I followed the advice on the bandsaw book for tension on smaller 14" bandsaws. My craftsman has a resaw height of max 8 5/16" so I had to trim about 2" from the edge of the burl, which was 10" wide. It's true what Rodent said about the smooth surface this thing leaves, there will be very little work left to do.

But I tried some birdseye maple for fingerboards today. It didn't go so well. It was really my fault as I didn't set up the fence 100% parallel to the blade. Nothing so bad that a little planing won't fix.

[​IMG]