Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woodward Dream Cruise

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Spam2mapS, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Spam2mapS

Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Any other TBers go? For those of you who don't know about this, it is a big car show (mostly classics) along woodward avenue here in michigan. Lots of nice cars there this year, I had trouble not drooling over the saleen mustang display :D

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Just once Id like to see that. Woodward was the place to be in the 60's to see the big three testing the latest hi-po iron. Tales of the racing that took place there has become legendary among musclecar nuts like myself.

Someday.........

3. only 2 people went last year that plays the bass...tsk...tsk...and to think i knew this crazy bunch. anywhoo, its fun to see what people were like back in 'ol 2002, if we can remeber waaaaaaaaaaaay back then.

4. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Yeah I'm going. There may be some live bands there this year so I hear.

5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

6. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I live two blocks from Woodward in Huntington Woods, MI (11 & Woodward). The Cruise usually starts on a Saturday in August. These days, if you don't have you groceries by the Wednesday before, you ain't gettin' any 'till Sunday.

There's alway been live music. I love the cruise, many are ambivalent about it, especially when you live with it year after year.

Funny thing, it was started on a lark by the City Manager in Ferndale to get weekend business and sell T-shirts to help the city coffers. The first year was out of control. Law Enforcement has their hands full. now its one of the biggest classic auto-fests in the world.

But the cars. It is awesome.
    If you guys are going to show up, you have to know where the parking and exits are. PM me near July.

7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

8. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    I've been to the last several, but methinks I'll be staying home this year. Don't have the tolerance for ultra-large crowds anymore.

There are some really, really nice cars, but to me, it just seems like too much of a hassle to go through in order to have fun.

9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Ahhh, not true, not true......If any of you see "GM Powered" or "Vortec" window stickers with the Woodward Dream Cruise dates on them, those were done by one of my counterparts who was heading up our Marketing department at the time. I tend to be sort of in and out of all the activity over a couple of the days. Next time I'll take pictures.

Peace,

James

10. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    There was entertainment all up and down the strip. I could hear music until about 11 in Ferndale both Friday and Saturday nights.

I had a gigs Friday night and Saturday afternoon. No one else here was playing?

11. Absentia

Absentia

Feb 25, 2009
    Myself aswell as the rest of my bandmates make it a point to get the hell out of royal oak during the dream cruise.
    We went camping 20miles for any other living soul.

I hate the dream cruise I hate being in traffic why would I want to go look at it?

12. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I didn't go last or this year. The traffic is just stupid! I love old cars, but to deal with all the people and traffic is not worth it. Compound the construction in the area (another intelligent move by the state of Michigan)I heard it was a complete nightmare!

13. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    It always is. I live two blocks off Woodward in Ferndale. The last couple of years have been quieter, places to park available on my block.