Woodwind players, advice wanted

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by mac_the_sac, Feb 11, 2004.

1. I've recently decided that I am going to major in music education, and to round my self out i want to learn at least basic woodwind proficiency before taking the courses in college, I already play euphonium/t-bone along with bass, so if anyone here doubles on a woodwind could you give me some advice as far as what instrument to play that would be fairly easy, tone production, technique, anything. There is an alto clarinet at my school I have been eyeing, but no mouthpiece, anyone know if an alto sax moutpiece would work

P.S. I know I should really post this on a woodwind related message board but I have had no luck finding one.
  2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Woodwinds are very similar to each other. Sax and flute are the same fingerings, and the middle register of clarinet is the same, too. Sax would be the most obvious choice if you intend to do any gigging. No one wants to hear a bassoon solo on a jazz or rock tune. :bawl:

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  3. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Or DO they? :)

I played flute for years, I would suggest sax, or maybe the clarinet.

Nice to see another euphonium player.
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Next year, I start as a music ed major. They will teach you everything you need to know in the classes. That's what they're for. There is no need for prior experience.

I'm a tuba player first, and I am also failry good in the rest of the brass family, I am quite proficient at (concert) percussion, and I play uprught bass as well. I have three of the 4 musical families down pretty well. My first instrument was flute, and I still know that quite well, but I can't play a reed instrument to save my life. They teach you all that as part of your music ed curriculum.
  5. Well a teacher i have said that a semester is hardly enough time, at least for him, to learn the instruments, so i figured why not go for it. Also, anyone know that stuff about the alto clarinet.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get into bass clarinet. Second coolest woodwind, behind the contrabassoon.
  7. Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    I second the bass clarinet. I've loved it.

Don't touch the alto clarinet. They have a horrible reputation for being airy and just sounding bad...
  8. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Yeah, a semester is not enough time to get "good" at an instrument. Especially if the class only meets once a week or so. It's a lot of fun learning the instruments, but you can't become Coltrane in a semester.

Chris A. :rolleyes: :bassist:
  9. I never had much trouble learning flute, which was my first instrument. Sax always seemed like fun too; I might end up trying that out later in life. Sorry, can't say much about alto clarinet; I never really liked the sound as much as the rest of the woodwind family... :confused:

Chris A, which sax(es) have the same fingerings as flute, or do they all? And do you mean similar, or actually identical? I've never heard that before, I'm intrigued...
  10. I actually started on the tenor sax. I like it because (to me) it not only sounds the coolest, but i get parts that have either doubled with the flutes and clarinets, or they double with the trombones and tuba. it is a pretty good utility instument. either that or a baritone sax, they sound really cool too. oh, btw, they are both really easy to learn.
  11. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I started on alto sax ten years ago, then to tenor three years ago, bari sax two years ago and just recently started on soprano sax and clarinet. Flute is in the near future. Living an hour from NYC, it doesn't hurt to double and triple on woodwinds, Broadway shows want people like me.

Besides bass, guitar and double bass, I play all major woodwinds and would keep going if I could afford them. Lucky for me, kids will take small amounts of money for their instruments when they quit. I've scored some nice deals this way :)

My recommendation: alto sax, very easy to play compared to the rest and you can get a Bundy II off eBay for about $250.