Woodworking gift for my dad?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassguitar, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Hey guys. Wood guys especially.

My Dad's birthday is coming up soon. He's recently renovated his work shop and is really getting into serious woodworking. He's got pretty much all the basic hand/power tools (router, drills/drill press, skil saw, recip saw, table saw, etc.), and I'd like to get him something to add to it.

For you woodworking guys - what would you like? What's totally indespensible in your shop?

Thinking around 200.00 - 250.00.
  2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Compund mitre saw ? Maybe a nice cordless driver drill. I have a 12v DeWalt that I used for everything. Or, maybe a compressor and a small spray gun.
  3. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    how about a gift card from home depot or lowes? one of my best friends is really into woodworking. there is a store here in atlanta that he loves called ROCKLER. they are all over the country i'm assuming. www.rockler.com. check out heir website. it's bound to have something he will love.
  4. Got it. Got it. And got it.

But you did give me a good idea - maybe another attachment or two for his compressor. He's got a paint sprayer, and a brad nailer attachement, but what else might there be?

It's a 150psi Porter Cable.
  5. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    Oh hell...Air brush, all kinds of different sanders, a die grinder w/wood shaping bits, small air ratchet or impact gun, drills, shears/cutters. heck, just about any tool that can be electric has a air powered cousin.
  6. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    How about a nice set of flat blade sushi saws? Not everyone has them and if you are really into the persnickity side of fine woodworking they're indespensible.

I've seen some that come in really nice folding linen cases.
  7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'd say it depends on what kind of wood guy he is. I've been a power tool wood guy for a long time now, but I'm just starting to get into the hand tools. As a wood guy if you wanted me to pretty much fall in love with you it only takes three little words: Lee Valley Tools.

Seriously, get him a nice fat gift certificate to Lee Valley and you're done. They have everything to make a wood guy need to change his shorts.

8. Maybe a router table? Or a stand-alone belt sander?

Ooo, a nice shop vacuum system. Not a shop-vac, but one of those dust collection systems. My dad has one in the garage, and it's cut down the amount of dust in the air by a LOT.

Rock on
  9. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Spare fingers?

I agree with Nateo in that it depends on what he's doing. If he does hand planing, how about a really good set of sharpening stones for the blades? I've got a set of double-sided Norton wet stones that are fantastic.
  10. Lately he's been getting into furniture I suppose. New doors for his bar cabinets, bed frames with drawers etc.
  11. emor

May 16, 2004
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thats what I was gonna suggest.

What about a lathe? I have know idea what they cost, but could be very cool, especially if he's into furniture.