Woodworking - have you blowtorched oak?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Feb 20, 2003.

1. I saw this really cool trick on Trading Spaces where they blowtorched the grain of a plank of oak and it went totally black. They made a cabinet, polyurethaned it and ended up being this awesome zebra cabinet.

Has anyone tried this trick on oak or other woods? Any tips? I think it would make a really cool coffee table.
  2. yeah, MTD basses are sweet!:D
  3. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    yep i've done it, but i've always stained the wood afterwards. i saw that trading spaces a long time ago when i had the patience for television.
  4. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i have blowtorched wood before but not for dramatic effect.

one way to really seal
    the grain on wood after it has gone through all but the absolute last sanding
    phase (wet) i take a damp paper towel and wet the surface that i am working on, then i take the blowtorch to dry the wood. this raises any grain that is not yet sealed, then final sand and you have a glass like smoothness before you apply finish.
  5. Amadeus, sorry that's the wrong episode. They matched it with a surf green / Cuban wall-colour. The cabinet was really sweet looking.

Sand, wet, blowtorch and sand. Interesting. If I were to finish it with polyurethane, would you apply it to the plank of oak or after the table as been assembled? I'm not a woodworking guy so I'm going to have to do more internet research.
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    this technique is to prep the wood right before the finish goes on.