Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

woody-guthrie help

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by benjamintowle, Aug 28, 2001.

1. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    i want to learn how to play woody-guthrie this is you land song i love the song dont know the really name to it can some one tab it out

2. I love that song too! You had it right, its called 'This Is Your Land'.
    Sorry I dont have the tab, but I have the chords for the guitar, which should be the same, so it should be easy to change it to a bass tab, or just play from the chords:

[D]This land is [G]your land, this land is [D]my land,
    From Calif[A7]ornia to the New York [D]Island,
    From the Redwood F[G]orests to the Gulf Stream wa[D]ters;
    [A7]This land was made for you and [D]me.

It repeats like that through the whole song.

Tab would be something like:

G ------------------------------------------------
    D ------------------------------------------------
    A -5----7----5----------5----7----5-----------5
    E ------------------5---------------------5------

Those are the notes. You'll have to play around with them to get the rhythm.
    Jim

3. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    That is the happy happy school version, what ever happened to the lines like, "We stole it from the indians..."

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Patriotic song, not protest song.

5. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've heard Arlo and Abe (woody's children) talk about it live, on stage. The version everyone hears is the edited version. From what i heard, woody was part sioux or something.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Again: Patriotic song, not protest song.

The general masses like don't like to hear anything negative.

7. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Woody did write the version we here, but he also added lines, i guess it was for fun. Artists don't necessarily give the public what it wants.

8. benjamintowle

benjamintowle Guest

Apr 3, 2001
    usa tewksbury mass
    thanks for the help do you play each note just once or what ;liek i can find liek the song to listen to.like i used to have it but cant find it .o yah i hear his son play it live at the boston pops.he like said there were more parts and sang some that he made up as a joke .i think i the only 15 year old i knwo who like Arlo music and all so liek funk metal punk jazz .i am messedd up.f any one knows were you can download the sond can you leave me a link

9. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    We need a translator, ASAP!!!

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ifuvnqkvjqepivjnqe oiqng

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I see you are trying to mimmick bejamintowlie.

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Mimic. :D

13. dood get over it it was just a spelaag misstake chill man not funny dude ill kick ur asss :D

14. Play it how it sounds good to you. Its a folk song, and has been played a thousand different times by a hundred different people, there is no 'right' way, just what sounds good to you.
    I know that when Dylan played it live the bassist played the note only once and held it while Bob strummed the notes a couple of times. Look at the chords in my previous post and just space out the notes to the lyrics and change when it says to.
    Or you could play like a guitarist and keep playing a note until it is time to change. Sing the lyrics to yourself or in your head, and play along to it, and look at where the changes are written in the lyrics. You'll come up with a bassline that will sound good.
    Jim

15. I actually f___ed that tab up, sorry man :oops:
    For some strange reason I saw G's as E's...
    Anyway the tab would really look something like this:

G -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    D -----------5-----------------------------------------5--------------------------------
    A -5--------------------5-------------------5------------------5---------------------5
    E -------------------------------5-----------------------------------------5----------

space them notes out to the words, or play each note a few times.