Woofer as sub?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Smack Alistair, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Hi,
    I'm using an active mackie srs1500 as a sub under my eden 4x10 xlt.

I can run this in two configurations.

i have an eden 800 wt and a 1973 100watt fender bassman.

The mackie takes everything below 120 hz, so using the eden I can run direct out of the eden into the woofer and then using biamp mode on the eden send everything above that to the 4 x 10 xlt.
    or ....
    using the fender via di box I can go direct to the woofer..using the internal crossover send everything below 120 hz there and also go fullrange through the 4x10.

I have to say at this early stage I prefer the sound using the fender head.

I'm still in experimental mode at the moment, but I have to say it moves some serious air, and to my ears at least sounds ok.
    Its received good reviews from the members of the three bands I'm in at present, and I was wondering is anyone else doing something similar, no one seems to be doing it here.

2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Use whatever works Smack. Sounds like you've got 2 setups which both sound good. Most people go through life looking for 1 decent sound. Well done.

The Eden 4x10 is more than capable of running full range so don't feel odd about that. And so what if the Fender is only 100w - don't get burried in the stats.

A lot of people on TB use Bi-Amping. I don't.
  3. HannibalSpector

Mar 27, 2002
    That's a serious , pumpin thumpin amp.

Is this sub speaker self powered?

I also use a 100watt valve amp to power the high/mids.
    In this configuration: preamp>active crossover > bass goes to poweramp , bridged high mids go to 100watt valve amp.
    This way I get nice sub bass with heaps of headroom for below 150 or 120Hz and the valve amp gives the nice punch to the high mids.
    The speakers I use with the valve head are sensitive, I'd recommend using really efficient speakers otherwise the amp will work too hard trying to move them and you'l lose your headroom.

4. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    With all due respect to you and Eden cabinets, they are not full range. I can only assume this is why our friend Alister is going to the extra trouble lugging an extra cabinet. Both Eden 4-10"'s are down 6db at 31Hz.

Another advantage of the sub is to be able to free up the main cabinet from having to produce current robbing lows.
  5. hey, thanks for the responses guys.

hannibal.you're in oz! I hadn't realized that till just now.
    anyway, yes the sub is self powered, 600 watts. The whole setup is a leg trembler let me tell you. its probably overkill really, but it fills out the bottom end very well.I plan to run some kick drum through it as well in the near future

i dont have quite the same set up as you so with the fender ( 1973 valve amp ) i can only send the lows ie less than 120 hz to the woofer via a di box. everything else, including whatever might be below 120 hz, goes to the eden 4x10.

What kind of crossover are you using, and what kind of speakers?..i presume the eden would be sensitive enough?

I like it better( at the moment anyway )than the highs -above 120hz - through the eden 4x10 and the lows through the woofer which i can achieve using the eden head.

Then again, my amp of choice for the last year has been the fender over the 800 watt eden. Its got less knobs too, which is a bonus in my humble opinion. :D

Vic... yeah, the eden 4x10 combined with the 100 watt fender head is amazing. For some reason it sounds louder than the eden. The eden cab is fine. The head? well...hmmmm, I dunno. Its pretty versatile though, we've used it as a power amp to run foldback in an emergency before.

I mainly use a 72 fender precision with a maple neck which is a bit trebly with other combinations but this one (fender head, eden cab and woofer)seems about right to my ears. The woofer adds some, well loads really, of bottom end which fills the sound out nicely. I like it, but that could be due to tinnitus and severe high end hearing deficiency. Its also nice to have the 4x10 almost at ear level but I'm having to wear earplugs...not many good looking chicks know how to sign... :D

The other point is, as you mentioned, the eden head and cabinet together handle the lows really well, but at the expense I think of overall power.

6. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    C'mon lets not have this argument all over again. If you want to be this pedantic, "Full Range" is 20hz to 20K and there's not a bass rig on the market that does that. The Eden is full range enough for most bass players.
  7. VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    No argument from me, just the facts. By the way, your use of the word pedant is a wonderful term for the anal male world on the internet. I gotta remember that one.

I'm sorry if my remark seemed argumentitive, personal, or overly exacting. The fact is everyone I know who has played through a full range system (or at least one that's flat into the mid twenties) has been very impressed, many of whom were Eden users.

There are more and more cabinet designs able to reach the real low end. My Bag End system is, by your deffinition, full range. AccuGroove, Warrwick, Meyer Sound, Mackie, JBL, etc. all make systems and or powered subwoofers which do not roll off at 40 Hz.
  8. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry Vic. There was a thread recently about this very point which got pretty heated. I just didn't want to re-kindle a fire which was burning out.

If you've got a spare 6 hours, check it out here