Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woofers Anyone?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by invisiman, Dec 16, 2004.

1. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I tried doing a search, but there just wasn't much information to be had. How do these bad boys sound? Do they require a seperate input jack to function properly, ala Mr. Sheehan's Attitude series basses? What combination of pickups do they work best with? Do I ask to many questions? :p

Thanks for any and all help :bassist:

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Well, as an addition to my first post, as I came across more information/money today, I'm thinking of sticking a Dimarzio will power into my GSR200,and I wish to know how much these cost, ad where I can buy them, as Bestbassgear does not carry them.

As well, the questions in my first post still stand, as I've been unable to come across those answers.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    For the pickups
    http://www.guitarsam.com/catalog2/dimarzio.htm
    Nice people, good service.

From what you asked in the first post, I assume you mean for a "woofer", a second pickup closer to the neck and perhaps wired to a seperate jack. I've never run it to a second jack, but I have run a pickup similar to Sheehan uses, the DM Model 1 and Model G in one of my shortscale basses in that position. In that application it sounded a bit muddy to my ears as a HB, but single coil or parallel it was much better, giving a nice 'dubby' thump, but still having decent top end. Probably good for a lot of reggae stuff or simulating with some more clarity something like an EB0. I have no need or desire to run a second output for the extra pickup so I can't comment on how it would sound run thru a seperate amp and speaker.

Don't take the comments above too much, as that bass is a cheap POS, but it has a great neck I like and I have a beautiful piece of Northern Ash to make a replacement body for it in the new year sometime. Bet it sounds different then and I'm keen to hear it then as I think it has some potential.

I've just gone back to a Villex P in this bass, but am waiting on a set of new strings before I comment. The DM M1 and MG are both going into the Hohner B2ADB to be tried out with a DM X2N guitar pickup (couldn't get an X2N-B secondhand) to see what I like when the new Status double ball strings arrive; they're all I have that fit the routs.

HTH some.