Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woogie valve amp vs (cheaper) Hartke setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cambass, Aug 19, 2004.

1. Hi,
    I'm about to upgrade my amp setup but have a big decision to make. I've been looking around at some amps including a Woogie 550watt all valve (tube) amp with a 4 x 10 cab or perhaps the much cheaper Hartke range (probably the 300w or 350w heads). (I'm not sure if Woogie is well known to anyone here as they are made locally here in Adelaide).

I guess the real question here is do I fork out the extra money for the valve amp (which sounded better to me) or just go with a cheaper setup for now? At the moment I play in a cover band doing rock, nothing too heavy, have only done one gig with another coming up next month, probably not to any really large crowd.

2. 550W All tube?! Man that's ridiculous and overkill in my book. Get it! How heavy is it? But seriously though, how much more the Woogie is would determine which one to go for for me.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    If the Woogie is within your price range and you like the sound of it best, by all means go for it. (I've never heard of them...is there a URL that you can share?).

I just bought a used Hartke HA5000 and I'm really happy with it so far (at-home use). I had been using a Pearce preamp/QSC PLX2402 rack system and wanted to downsize a bit.

Having been through a lot of gear over the years, I'd recommend that if you find something that sounds best to your ears, you should go for it (assuming it's affordable) because if you buy something cheaper, you'll always be thinking about the one that you like better...