Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woohoo, at the age of 40 I'm no longer a virgin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xyllion, Apr 5, 2004.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Yep that's right, had my first gig today where I was paid in cash. Sure, I've gotten free drinks and food before, but never received a cash payment. Only took me until I turned 40. :)

2. Ahh, I remember my first paid bass gig like it was last year. Oh wait, it was last year... at age 39.

Congrats. Are you going to frame one of the bills you got and hang it on your wall?

-Mike

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I made $6 at a gig when I was 22. Haven't made a dime since.

4. YOU GOT FREE DRINKS AND FOOD!!!?? SIGN ME UP FOR THAT GIG!!!

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No, I won't be displaying any of the bills. GAS calls. :)

Yea, I do have to say that it isn't my goal to make money playing. We've been playing charity gigs and back yard parties for the fun of it. We actually didn't actively seek out this gig. The party host happened to hear some of our stuff and then asked if we'd play this party. It was fun and it was kinda cool to get paid as well.

6. ChenNuts44

ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    I have to admit, when I first read this title, I thought to myself, "How awful. Honestly, it just doesn't seem right."

7. The first gig I played and got paid for, I got 5 bucks,but man did I feel like I was rolling in money.

8. You mean to tell me that I could be getting paid to have this much fun?

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, i'd love to at least recover my cost of playing. I would be really happy if that ever happened. Anything above and beyond would just blow me away!

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    My very first gig I made 15 cents. That's right. Some girl (who I'm now good friends with) took a nickel and a dime out of her bra, and threw it at me during a bass solo. 15 cents. That's Canadian money too. :)

~Graeme

11. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    that's a fun way to get paid.

12. It's so rewarding to play for the love of music, but even more rewarding to be payed to play for the love of music. I'm happy to say that all my gigs last year paid me enough to get an eden wt550, and that was just a weekend or two a month....

My first "paying" "band gig" was horrible... we were supposed to just play for drinks, which was cool since it was a crappy cover band and it was our first time out, but after our third set, our singer passed out in the parking lot(beer)... we were done anyway, so we packed up when the owner said, hey if you play another set, I'll pay ya.. so we set back up and got 25 bucks each when all was said and done... Not the worst thing in the world, paid for gas. But at least i drank enough ammareto and coke to make it worthwhile ;)

:smug: