Woohoo! Birth of a Marchlewski Bass Part 3!!! Vintage Strikes Back!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wolfehollow, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    time to spill the beans on my next Marchlewski bass. It is going to be:

4 string fretted (smallish frets)
    ash body (With Ebony and Maple accents)
    bolt on 5-piece neck (Maple and Walnut)
    birdseye board
    ebony pickguard/block inlays/binding
    Nordstrand fatstacks with maple and ebony covers
    ghost midi/piezo system
    Led's with tuner system

Heres the design-

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I want to have a few of these built to satisfy my "vintage" needs... Black with Tort... Oly White and Gold, etc... more pics and details soon.

Kanji still up in the air... Photoshop Rocks!!!! :)
  2. SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    I'll be the 1st to say it....KILLER!! Definately different, puts a whole new spin on vintage with modern look. Modern, Vintage....Mintage? Vintern? MoVi? (I'll stop now). :rolleyes:
  3. diggin it!!! i've been watching the March threads and these are definitely something to look at. however, there is something bugging me about the blocks and the body shape.. i dunno what it is... I really dig your upper/lower horns, but the cutout at the end of the body looks out of place with the jazz style blocks. i know nothing about photoshop or graphics programs, but for some reason i wanna see the same bass with the body finished. i.e no cutout at the end of the body, just to add to the "vintage vibe". it would still retain the unique body style you developed. maybe a more "relaxed" cutout instead of such a deep one..

if you can't tell you're giving me tons of ideas for a new bass... :D
  4. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Ill certainly mock that up and post it... The cutout is just a quirk of mine... :)
  5. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I like alot. Elaborate on this LED tuner system - i want to know more!
  6. yeah!! lemme see the mockup!! i might have to steal/borrow your horn design in the future :p
  7. basses55

basses55 Gold Supporting Member

Jul 24, 2003
    Endorsing Artist: Alleva Coppolo
    hey..thats unique..but in a real good way! I like it.
  8. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Still in the research and development phase... :) but if it works it will be killer!
  9. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    I love those Nordstrand FatStacks! :bassist:
  10. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  11. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Here are some pics of the actual shape and such...

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Jake Marchlewski makes one hell of a bass. Thats going to be sick when its done.
  13. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003

Man those basses give me a hard on :D
  14. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Here they are... Ill give a more detailed description later... its awesome! He gets better every bass... this is going to be a work bass for me... so I went as simple as possible... :)

15. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I figured I would finish off this thread with the final pics.

This bass has banjo frets and a flat radius... something new to me and I like it. It has a great slap tone with the fatstacks and east pre... very calm on the high end, but it still jumps up out you if you did in.

I wanted a vintage "funky" vibe... sort of like a padded Kustom cab. :) If you know what I mean. The satin finish is amazing... smooth and cold.

The neck is larger, by request, and fits my hand perfectly... I went to the shop during this process and Jake fit it exactly to my hand. The satin finish is also on the neck, which makes it fast... Id never thought of that aspect before, but Im pretty sure Ill be doing this again.

It has a ghost piezo system and some leds for that added touch...

more after a bit of playing time.
  16. Giel

Sep 9, 2005
    The Netherlands
    BEAUTIFULL!! That shape is just SO cool! Have fun playing it..
  17. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I think this is also his first bolt-on bass... :)
  18. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
  19. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Man I don't know how you do it! I love all your March' basses and I want them. This one is no exception. Good luck with it!