Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WooHoo! I just got a regular gig!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by justBrian, Dec 13, 2004.

1. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    So, I subbed in a big band yesterday. It was a 3 hour gig at a local American Legion-- we got a cut of the door and the drinks were cheap. I have played with them before and always had a great time. Well, I saw the schedule on the leader's piano and asked (at a break) if she would like to use me for anything on the calendar. She asked me if I could do them all and be the regular bass guy for the band. Granted, it's only once a month, but it still kicks major ass. We play tons of stuff from the '30s and '40s. I must have been doing something right because most of the guys said how nice it was to have an URB playing with them, and I got several comments from some of the patrons as well. WooHoo! I'm pretty stoked. I'm booked the 2nd Sunday of every month from now until June. :cool:

2. Way to go! Congratulations!!

3. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Thanks Paul. (I love your avatar btw-- quite naughty!) ;)

4. You betcha! You think that's naughty? You should see my private collection.

5. Matt Ides

Matt Ides

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Congrats on the gig.

6. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    No kidding... You should see Paul's collection of bass pics he has stashed in the bathroom! ;)

And congrats on the gig, of course!

7. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Are they right by the door? I'll have to make a run there pretty soon.

Oh, and thanks! ;)

9. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO

10. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Actually Ken, my name is Brian-- I went by BD in the navy ;) and E is my middle initial.

We played stuff like "The Woodchopper's Ball," "String of Pearls," "Moonlight Seranade," "Pennsyvania 8-5000," "Tennessee Waltz," "Cab Driver," "Dream," and a bunch of other great tunes like those. I'm probably the youngest band member and I'm 44. I think most of the guys have played these songs most of their lives-- some were in touring big bands. It is a cool buch of guys to play with. :cool:

11. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Hey, congrats on the gig Brian!

12. justBrian

justBrian

Apr 19, 2002
    Kansas City, MO
    Sorry about that-- I kind of had a feeling it was a "6" but couldn't remember. I've only played a few gigs with them so I don't know most of the repertoir, but will make a list from our next gig. In fact, I'll bring home the set list and post it for you all here-- cool?

I'm like that too, Ken. I may recognize the tune, but not know the title. But, I'll tell you what-- I thank my parents everytime I play this kind of music. This is what was on in my house when I was growing up. When I'm playing, I can almost see my dad out there dancing. :)