Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WooHoo I'm doing the New Bass Dance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by belair57, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Yep, I finally got it. My dream bass(for now). After months of waiting and saving I bought my new Alembic Epic. It's everything I thought it would be and more. Plus I got a sweet deal on it. $700 off of Ebay. It's in great shape too.
    It's a 1997 model with all the good stuff. It's got that great slap tone with the bass and treble knobs cranked and can almost get a jazz tone when you back off the bass a lot and the treble a little. Even though it weighs a lot I don't really mind. It actually feels better that way. My favorite part is the neck. It is soooooo comfortable to play. It's like I put my hand on it and it just plays itself.
    I did get a little mad this afternoon when I got it b/c as soon as I opened the box up and showed my four sisters and my mom I got a very disheartening response from them.
    Sister 1 - "I like your other one (a samick) better. It's got pretty paint."
    Sister 2 - "ditto"
    Sister 3 - "Yuck"
    Sister 4 - "I like the wood on the top but why isn't the whole bass the same kind of wood."
    Mom - "Wow that's nice." Trying to not make me feel bad for spending a lot of money on something she thinks is disgusting.
    Finally my dad came home and he loved it. Now I can go to sleep knowing that one member of my family can appreciate true beauty.
    Then I plugged it in and that's where the WooHoo part came in. I don't even want to talk about the fact that all my sisters thought it sounded the same as my Samick.
    Maybe this should be a permanent lesson to me and everyone NOT to care about what your family thinks about your bass stuff. Well, I still got my friends to show. I know they'll love it. And I'm sure you guys will too.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, belair!:)

What kind of woods are the body made of? Is that a macassar ebony top?

3. The guy I bought it from says that it's Bocate but I thought that Bocate was much lighter, like the stuff on the headstock. I just looked at the wood samples at Alembic's web site and it looks lik the top of my bass is either Macassar ebony or Rosewood. I think that the headstock is Bocate though.
    The rest of the body is mahogany with a maple veneer. There's also a walnut veneer between the fingerboard and the neck but I don't know why.
    The attention to detail is impeccable.

4. Ah, forget what they say to ya belair. It's a beauty and as long as you like it, what do you expect. I mean, come on, you're sisters are probably also into the idea that a computer is as good as the color the casing comes in.

5. Oh yeah I forgot to post a pic of my other bass. You can decide wether my sisters were right.
    [​IMG]

6. I personally like the look of the Alembic, and i'll bet it sounds better too. But hey, i guess that's why you're the musician in the family.

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Belair, thats definitely a Bocate top. The Epic being the budget model (budget is relative in this case, of course), they wouldn't use a wood like macassar ebony or rosewood. Both are FAR FAR to expensive to use on a bass like that. Most companies charge about US$500 for a top of Macassar Ebony, but a company like Alembic (US$800 for AAA maple!!!!!) would probably charge well over US$1000. They only use it on custom models anyway!

Definitely an awesome score though! Congrats!

BTW, is that a troll bridge i see in the background of the first pic?! :eek:

8. What?

9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Some people go from a Samick to a Fender... Froma a Samick to an Ibanez.... From a Samick to a Carvin, but from a Samick to Alembic??:eek:

You lucky, lucky bastard.:D

It's gorgeous. Congrats.

Now for the bad news (or good, depending how you look at it):

<font size=4>You don't need to get a new bass for the next 10 years!!!</font>:D

Will C.:cool:

10. Well exactly, he wouldn't have to, but of course, that shouldn't stop him. Even if i had such a great custom American Spector, doesn't mean i would stop getting basses, hehe :) I say, you make a family, and if you have to, you can adopt from others. hehe :)

11. I just thought I'd post this nice pic of both of my basses w/ my amp. I guess I qualify for having a bass family now.
    [​IMG]

12. Hey Belair, that's a fine looking instrument, and it sounds as though you got a good deal on it. No offense to your sisters, but they are women; what
    do women know about basses ?

It's beautiful man, enjoy it!

Mike J.

I'll probably get a nasty e-mail from Rhonda Smith now.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Troll bridge? Theres a curved bridged looking thing on the middle right background of the Alembic picture! Troll bridge.

Now about that amp.... :D

14. Oh. That's the headboard of my bed.
    And that monstrous amp you were speaking of is a Fender KXR100. Yes that's a keyboard amp. It Doesn't sound too bad but it's only 90 watts and not meant for bass so after about 3/4 volume it starts to distort.

15. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    Congrats, Belair57 !
    And consider bringing your sisters to an ear doctor ;)

16. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Big Wheel wrote:

Now for the bad news (or good, depending how you look at it):

You don't need to get a new bass for the next 10 years!!!

Will C.

The REALLY bad news is you may have contracted a rare disease known as Alembicitis. I'm a carrier. It's when you continuously rationalize why you have to keep moving up the Alembic food chain. The list price on my three Series basses would fund a decent car. Of course, I never pay list, but I think you get my point.

Enjoy your Alembic!!

17. Yeah, I'm probably gonna be jonesin' for a Rogue 5 string in a year or so.
    [​IMG]

18. KeithPas

KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Poulsbo,Wa
    Congrats bro,that is a sweet bass. Your not going to be satified with anything but high quality from now on.

19. I went to GC yesterday to find a gig bag for my bass while I save the money for a harshell. I took it in the store and immediately, every bass player in the store(about 6 of them) came up to me at the door and were like, whoa is that an Alembic. They wanted me to plug it in and play it but I'm not that great so I just chilled out for a couple of minutes. I heard this one guy in the bass room that I hadn't seen before going to town on a Conklin GT-7. I brought the bass in and he liked the bass too. I let him play it and boy was he good. He played some of that crazy Jaco harmonic stuff. There were a couple other guys in there and my dad and the guy told me about a Series one he used to have that he pawned in a moment of pure idiocy. It was pretty cool. I've never talked to anyone at GC until I had a cool bass to show off.

20. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Belair,

Here's what Alembicitis can do to you. Everything in the 1st picture I don't own anymore. There's an '87 Stanley Clarke Signature, a Ken Smith Burner, and an Alembic Series II small body. All gone now, even the amp.

The 2nd picture is my newest bass, a custom Alembic Mark King Deluxe with Series II electronics. This one's a keeper.

The 3rd picture is my '87 Series I. This one's also a keeper. The fourth picture is my '87 in the more capable hands of its previous owner.

My other (and oldest) Alembic looks a lot like the Stanley Clarke Signature in the 1st picture, but it's a Series I. It's on its way back to me from Alembic where it just went through a total rework.

I'd probably have a Warwick or Ken Smith and something fretless in my arsonal, but my wife and I have "agreed" that I should keep it down to three basses, and I don't plan to get rid of any of those that I have. Then again, I think I said that when I took that 1st picture, and where are they now?

Peace,

James