Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woohoo. I'm no longer in the custom wait crowd

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xyllion, Apr 26, 2005.

1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    My fretless 6-string 32"-scale Karl Hoyt hand-made bass arrived yesterday and it sounds beautiful. It has a nice clear jazz tone. Body is curly redwood/maple veneer/mahogany/maple veneer/curly redwood. The finger board is a high-tech acrylic impregnated bloodwood. It is very hard and smooth. Pickups are Nordstrand single-coil pickups in carved redwood housings. All in all, I'm pleased as punch.

Here is a picture of it side by side with my fretted 6-string that I received about a year ago:

[​IMG]

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Wow. Sexy bass man. What kind of pickups does that have?

3. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Thanks, yes, as Lyle pointed out, they are Nordstrand pickups. Karl hand carved the redwood housings for the pickups. I had heard good things about Carey's pickups and now that I have had a chance to listen to them, I can say that his praise is well deserved.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Wow that top is beautiful! Nice bass, how about some sound clips Bob!

6. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Very cool Bob - Karl does good work :)

7. beautiful! in my opinion, i like your new one better than your old one...that body is so cool!

8. That's a beaut.

I list Karl as one of my influences. No, really!

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I've yet to hear of Karl Hoyt's work -until now. :cool:

Wow, those are really nice looking basses, killer woodwork!

Congrats, -Art

10. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    !!!
    That is *beautiful*. I have a thing for fretless 6 stringers these days.. ;)

11. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    she's a real beaut man! Is it Piccollo? if not does it have the BEADGC tuning?

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  13. useless

useless Guest

Mar 11, 2004
    Fresno!
    hey xyllion is where is mr. hoyt based out of? i just noticed you were from S.J..

14. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    note to self: add curly redwood to list of favorite top woods.

15. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    congrats! very nice. hows it play?

16. SharkB8

SharkB8

May 29, 2002
    NorCal
    Very stunning....both of them....enjoy!!

17. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrats, nice talking to you over in the pit Bob. :) :bassist:

18. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    MM, yea, great talking to you. I'm over there alot.

As for sound clips, I'll try to record some after the kids get to sleep. It is too wild in the house right now.

Karl Hoyt is based in Cape Cod. He has participated for many years in an online mailing list of bassists that I also participate in. He has been building for many years. Unfortunately, he is not planning on taking commissions for the next 7 or so years. He will still be building, but only what he wants. After he retires from his day job, he plans to start taking orders again.

Karl's basses do appear on eBay from time to time. Although they don't change hands all that often. If you keep an eye open on the usual locations, you'll see his works appear for sale.

As for tuning, both are tuned EADGCF. I've never cared for a B string. So, when I had these built, I chose them to be built from E going up. The fretted has been tuned down to a D from time to time and it still sounds great.

Finally, thanks for the kind words. I do love these basses. The new one definitely is flashier in appearance than the fretted, but I love them both. The walnut fretted has a great sound to it.

19. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    BTW, the secret is that he added a dye to the redwood to help bring out the figuring that was in the wood. He also used an extremely hard finish on it to help protect it since redwood is very soft wood. Also, redwood is very light weight. This entire 6-string bass weighs only 8.5 lbs.

20. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Here is a small sample recorded from this bass. The technique is less than perfect, but I think you can get a feel for this instrument from the recording: www.bassviews.org/fretless.mp3