woohoo! looky what I just bought!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by allan grossman, Sep 24, 2003.

1. [​IMG]

Ibanez RB760. MIJ, build date of Oct 1984. The bass is in *new* condition.

I went to Elderly and played it last Saturday, had my credit card out and talked myself out of it. I've been thinking about it since then and called Elderly today and gave them a credit card number and told them I'd pick it up on Saturday.

Here are some more pics -

2. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Nice..... The binding gives it a nice touch..
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I wanted one of those real bad back in the day. The Cherry burst ones in the catalogs styled like yours REALLY caught my eye... but the local store stocked that model.

My first bass was the 1980ish Ibanez Destroyer in metallic red with a split P.

(hurts to think that's gonna be 20 years old :eek: )
  4. And here's a gear review -

Went over to my boss' house yesterday to jam with him and another friend and a drum machine (my boss is a drummer learning to play g*itar so there was a kit there and he switched off between the two).

For a bass that's 19 years old this thing is in mint condition. Not. One. Scratch. On. It.

There is a tiny bit of pitting on the bridge but you have to be looking for it to see it. All in all the thing looks (and plays) like a brand new bass. The "binding" on the body is actually two-tone paint. There's a dark brown stripe around the edge of the body and the stripe on the face is a little more reddish-brown. Looks like a single stripe if you're more than four feet away, though. Like I said, finish is in new condition.

34" scale, gorgeous rosewood fingerboard and teensy little mandolin frets on it. No fret wear. I think somebody bought this bass and stored it in the case for almost 20 years.

Fit and finish? Fretwork is as good as any mass produced bass I've ever seen - no exposed ends, no high frets, low action that might even go a tad lower with some saddle adjustment - no fret buzz when I played it but when my friends tried it out they got it to rattle a little - but they're g*itar players and have weak fingers

Pots feel a little cheap but are clean and the bass is dead quiet. Passive electronics.

For most of the evening I soloed the split bridge pickup - I'm looking for a bass that goes "thump" since I already have a couple of basses that go "zing". I played the bass through my iAmp 800 and a single Aguilar GS112 and I still say that cab is a little thin in the midrange but it's easily remedied by twirling the EQ knobs on the amp a little. That's why I highly recommend pairing a GS112 with a Bergantino EX-112. Each cab makes up for what the other one lacks

Anyway, the bass is a joy to play. Now y'all know why I hate reviews of new gear - everybody who buys something will tell you it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. The neck is smooth and considering I'm used to playing 5-strings, pretty durned fast. I think a four string player would find it about the same dimensions as a p-bass neck but coming off a five I didn't find it unwieldy at all. It's not nearly as narrow as the neck on my Frankenjazz was but it does fit my hand pretty well.

Tone? The thing thumps just fine but did sound a little brighter than I'd have liked so I'm gonna head out today and get a set of flats for it. One thing I have noticed - my ear is entirely too critical. My boss doesn't play bass at all - he played it with one finger and lotsa fret buzz and I liked the tone coming from him a lot more than when I was playing it - it sounded just marvelous. I have noticed this over the years - I'm hypercritical of my own sound but when I listen to other people playing my equipment it sounds the same way it did when I heard it the first time in the music store. Strange, huh?

The only down side of the evening was a noisy George L cable that scared the crap out of everybody more than once. I was afraid it was the bass and swapped the cable out and the noise went away. Took about a minute to fix the George L and everything was sweet from then on.

All in all I'm very happy. A new set of strings and this thing should thump with the best of them. Fit and finish are as good as I've seen on a mass-produced bass and I think this is one of the best gear purchases I've ever made.
  5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Those are super nice basses. Probably one of the best bang for the bucks, but their not super easy to find.
  6. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I've never really been attracted to white basses, but that one certainly looks sweet.
  7. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

A good score! It is very attractive, and would make anyone look better on stage.
  8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    VERY NICE!!!!! I really like early Ibanez's.
  9. BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Now that is one cool bass!

Late 70's early 80's Ibanez basses put out some fine sounds. ;)