Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WOOHOO! Matched Shuker 6s have landed at last!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Richard Lindsey, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    After about 5.5 months (not that long I guess), my matched pair of Jon Shuker 6s (one fretted, the other lined fretless) finally arrived today! I'm happy as a clam. To recap the specs: African walnut body, amboyna burl top, maple-wenge laminated bolt-on neck, SD Basslines soapbars w/ Shuker 3-band preamp (18 V circuit), individual bridge pieces, ebony fingerboard, 26 frets (for no particular reason other than that I could). And last but not least, at my suggestion (but inspired by threads on TalkBass as well as by seeing THG Roger's work on JP's basses), matching amboyna burl control knobs! There are certainly more visually astounding basses out there, but I was kinda going for a more subdued yet elegant vibe. Sorta like fine Corinthian leather (in best Ricardo Montalban voice). Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the way the looks came out.

Here's a frontally nude shot:
    [​IMG]

2. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sweeeeet dude!

they's very classy.

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Here's a pic of how the neck joint was done:
    [​IMG]

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    And the knobs, of course:
    [​IMG]

5. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Trade for a Carvin?

;)

Seriously gorgeous tho! Congrats!

Those are the first "shuker" basses I've ever seen, English ey?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    And a final nice touch, personalizing the basses for me:
    [​IMG]

7. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats on 2 gorgeous basses. :bassist:

8. Twins............ouch!
    having one sexy bass is awesome........two.......orgasmic!

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Why 2 of the same bass?

10. Man, those are sweet! I've always liked the idea of matched basses. One day, I too will have matched basses. :)

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Hey Chris--actually, the reason I sold the Carvin! (and am selling my other one)

Yeah, they're English. I dunno if there even are any others in the States yet, though there's a guy named Joey G who says he's gonna start carrying them (www.joeygmusic.com) Jon's pretty much a one-man operation--does everything himself. Very nice and obliging guy, really wants to work with the buyer to make sure they get what they want (within reason of course). For example, he'd never done wood knobs before, but when I mentioned I'd seen them and sent him a pic of one of JP's basses, he said he wouldn't mind having a go at them himself. Now I think he's gonna start offering them as a listed option.

12. One fretted, one fretless.

Geoff

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    They're not the same. One is a fretless. I like the look of a matching pair, and I figure this will cut down on dealing with volume and EQ changes when switching basses.;) :bassist:

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thought one would be fretless,but couldnt really tell from pic too wwell..

15. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Naturally, I'm going to have to work these bad boys out before defining my thoughts on the tone, but the preliminary impression is that they're pretty warm and generally even across the spectrum--not too barky or growly. That's kinda what I was looking for, being more of a jazz/R&B/world music (yeah, whatever that is) guy than a rocker. The fretless in particular sings like a chickadee with brass cojones. It seems to fall right under my hand, probably because I asked Jon if possible to mimic the neck on the ABG he made me last year. Plays like buttah.

One other cool thing Jon did, completely on his own, at no charge. You can't see it, but he put a thin layer of black binding along the edge of the fretted fingerboard. So no more fret ends sticking out when the seasons change! Very nice extra touch.

16. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Very nice, Richard.

Dare I ask what they cost??

17. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Well, I ordered earlier in the year, when the dollar was stronger against the pound, and I got a couple of discounts for being a repeat customer, for ordering a matched pair, and for making the matched pair bolt-ons (meaning Jon could get two necks out of a single blank. Jon's bolt-on Customs are normally 1095 pounds, and right now he's running a special where if you get a matched pair you get 40% off the second one. My deal was actually a bit better than that, but as I say, the current exchange rate would work out to more than what I paid. Suffice it to say, it was less than one Fodera would have cost.

18. Forgot to mention... sweet basses. Seems like they were quite a deal too. Congrats.

Geoff

19. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I really dig the identical bass idea. It must be like a double-Christmas for you :) Congrats!

20. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Congrats Richard!

Jon's work is really great. those basses are simple yet elegant, the way I like them.

Nice knobs too ;)

Peace, JP