Woohoo New Bass Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funky_bass_guy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I have finally got a new bass to replace my rather weak DeArmond Pilot Pro! Its and OLP MM3 (Copy of the Musicman Stingray 5) with a Status graphite replacement neck. The pickups and electronics are stock at the moment and I dont think I will be changing them as I am quite happy with the range of tones I can get at the moment.

She sounds amazing, better than a Musicman Stingray 5 in my opinion and at the end of the day thats what matters :D

2. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I know a lot of people don't like OLPs, but as long as you snagged a decent body, this ought to be a killer bass, thanks to the Status neck! I bet you will be replacing the electronics before long, though.
  3. Thanks :) I will be jamming with a Stingray 5 tonight so we shall have some fun comparing!
  4. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    HaHaHaHaha dont make me laugh , I highly highly doubt it sounds better than a Musicman SR5 ,but .........whatever floats your boat
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nice score !!
  6. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would put new electronics in. Put real musicman 5 electronics in, they sound great.

That status neck costs more than the OLP itself :p

With that neck though, it must be a great player, if you have it set up right.
  7. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Subjectivity is great isn't it :rollno:

Congrats on the bass, dude. I like it alot. Those necks are killer.
  8. Thanks guys :) I will have to wait a while to be in a position to buy new electronics but I am not really sure how much of a difference they would make?
  9. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From what i have heard about OLP electronics, quite a difference.
  10. Ok, after a long chat and some experimenting with my bass teacher we thought the bass sounded a little brittle on the popping. He thought active electronics would make a big difference and maybe a new pickup... Does anyone know if the pickup needs upgrading aswell?

I am looking at the seymour duncan MM tone system as they look fairly easy to fit and seem to be popular, is this a good choice or can anyone reccommend other pickups?

Many thanks
  11. Am I the only one to realise that the OLP pickup has the shape of the 4 string MM? the 5 string doesn't have the screw 'ears'. I know you can get both shapes I'm just commenting on the fact that you couldnt just drop a SR5 pickup in there.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It might fit depending on how its routed. Something tells me the wood is routed like a square and the pickguard would just need to be cut a little.
  13. Good point I hadnt thought of that! I have access to a router so cutting a bigger cavity is not a problem.
  14. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I was just about to suggest a seymour-duncan pup setup actually. I love the look of that neck- very classy bass. Nice score!
  15. Thanks, I love the carbon fibre weave, looks amazing :)
  16. Bassmanbiker

Sep 29, 2005
    Awesome looking neck,dude! I've thought about a graphite neck for my MM3. Nordstrand has a dop in replacement for MM3's. Heard they sound really nice too! A little pricey though,IMHO
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

ditto. Cool score! Hope it works well for you.