1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Woohoo New Bass Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funky_bass_guy, Mar 31, 2005.

1. I have finally got a new bass to replace my rather weak DeArmond Pilot Pro! Its and OLP MM3 (Copy of the Musicman Stingray 5) with a Status graphite replacement neck. The pickups and electronics are stock at the moment and I dont think I will be changing them as I am quite happy with the range of tones I can get at the moment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She sounds amazing, better than a Musicman Stingray 5 in my opinion and at the end of the day thats what matters :D

Chris

2. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    I know a lot of people don't like OLPs, but as long as you snagged a decent body, this ought to be a killer bass, thanks to the Status neck! I bet you will be replacing the electronics before long, though.

3. Thanks :) I will be jamming with a Stingray 5 tonight so we shall have some fun comparing!

4. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    HaHaHaHaha dont make me laugh , I highly highly doubt it sounds better than a Musicman SR5 ,but .........whatever floats your boat

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

nice score !!

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would put new electronics in. Put real musicman 5 electronics in, they sound great.

That status neck costs more than the OLP itself :p

With that neck though, it must be a great player, if you have it set up right.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Subjectivity is great isn't it :rollno:

Congrats on the bass, dude. I like it alot. Those necks are killer.

8. Thanks guys :) I will have to wait a while to be in a position to buy new electronics but I am not really sure how much of a difference they would make?

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    From what i have heard about OLP electronics, quite a difference.

10. Ok, after a long chat and some experimenting with my bass teacher we thought the bass sounded a little brittle on the popping. He thought active electronics would make a big difference and maybe a new pickup... Does anyone know if the pickup needs upgrading aswell?

I am looking at the seymour duncan MM tone system as they look fairly easy to fit and seem to be popular, is this a good choice or can anyone reccommend other pickups?

Many thanks
    Chris

11. Am I the only one to realise that the OLP pickup has the shape of the 4 string MM? the 5 string doesn't have the screw 'ears'. I know you can get both shapes I'm just commenting on the fact that you couldnt just drop a SR5 pickup in there.

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    It might fit depending on how its routed. Something tells me the wood is routed like a square and the pickguard would just need to be cut a little.

13. Good point I hadnt thought of that! I have access to a router so cutting a bigger cavity is not a problem.

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I was just about to suggest a seymour-duncan pup setup actually. I love the look of that neck- very classy bass. Nice score!

15. Thanks, I love the carbon fibre weave, looks amazing :)

16. Bassmanbiker

Bassmanbiker

Sep 29, 2005
    Awesome looking neck,dude! I've thought about a graphite neck for my MM3. Nordstrand has a dop in replacement for MM3's. Heard they sound really nice too! A little pricey though,IMHO

17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

ditto. Cool score! Hope it works well for you.