Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Woohoo! New basses!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TK65, Nov 11, 2004.

1. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    It's been a little while since I poked my head in over here, and I have since picked up a couple of new basses. Yea! New basses!

The first one is a new one from the Carvin Custom Shop - an LB70, with a sweet flamed koa top, birdseye maple fingerboard, koa neck and body and gold hardware. Really nice - I love koa. And it's super light (surprisingly), and sounds fantastic.

[​IMG]

The next one is just, well, cool. It's an '88 Carvin DN440 doubleneck. Pearl Purple, Kahler bass trem, fretted/fretless. What's really cool about this (IMHO) is that it was originally made for Steve McDonald of Redd Kross, which has always been one of my favorite bands. A couple of days ago, Jon from Redd Kross sent me a QuickTime of their "Annie's Gone" video, which featured this bass.

[​IMG]

It's pretty cool - seeing *my* bass in a real, live video (this particular clip was from MTV's 120 Minutes). As Antique's Roadshow would say, this adds to it's "provenance". And we know how I love those weird basses. If anyone is interested, the video is on the Carvin Museum, under Collections/Kevio.

I love new basses! :hyper:

[​IMG]

2. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

wow !!
    do you work for Carvin ?
    :cool:
    i really like the LB70 , beautiful bass ... { nice lookin' rig ... is that an R600 or R1000 head ?}

3. I don't know why, but I've got the feeling that you like Carvins. :p

Congrats on the new toys! That koa is awesome. The doubleneck is cool, too, but the color is kind of an acquired taste... :smug:

4. That koa LB70 is really cool. Nice choice on the 2+2 headstock.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Hey ThunderKiss long time no talk to. Man those are some sweet Basses. I have always wanted a Doubleneck.
    Congrats on the score. :hyper:

6. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    SWEET!!!! If you EVER (I know, not likely) decide to get rid of the DN440 let me know, I was seriously bummed when they stopped making that. It was probably the only decent Doubleneck bass I ever even had a chance to afford.

7. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    This is gonna kill you - I actually sold another DN440 to buy the purple one.

[​IMG]

I know I'm gonna get grief for selling the koa one to buy the purple one - but that purple one just appealed to me. First of all, it had a Kahler. And an unlined fretless fingerboard. And it was owned by Redd Kross. It's...um...gaudy, I guess - but it's the epitome of a late-80's bass. They just don't make them like that anymore (and there's probably a reason for that).

The LB70 also has non-rounded body sides - I wanted a real traditional look for it, not the headbanging look I usually go for. But it looks perfect - exactly what I had in my head. Unfortunately, the photos don't do the flamed koa justice.

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from TK:I know I'm gonna get grief for selling the koa one to buy the purple one - but that purple one just appealed to me.

You made the right choice, have no regrets.I do not want be
    out of line here but how much did you sell the other one for ?
    I have always wanted one, but have no idea how much they
    would go for. You can PM me if you do not want to post it. If not I respect the privacy of the you and the new owner.I wish it was me.

9. TK65

TK65

Jan 16, 2003
    The koa one sold for $1200 on eBay, and I got the purple one for $1000 - so, I even made a little profit! Of course, I had to pay PayPal fees and all that, but when the owner of the purple one contacted me, I told him I'd buy it, as long as I could sell the koa one, and not actually have to "spend" anything. I had just ordered to koa LB70, so I didn't have an extra grand laying around for "another" bass. You know how that goes!

10. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Sweet. If you come across any that you do not want let me know. I have been saving for a rainy day.

11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    '88 Carvin DN440 doubleneck

best carvin iver ever seen!

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That Koa one is amazing.

13. BassFiddle63

BassFiddle63

Oct 4, 2002
    Oklahoma
    Cool lookin' Koa LB-70! Dig that 2+2 headstock instead of the normal type also :bassist: Congrats!

14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    AAAAAAAAGGGGHGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to go crawl under a rock and die!!!! The Koa is amazing. Too bad it doesn't have the trem...

I'm way bummed I missed that one.

:bag:

15. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

It´s oficial...you HAVE to be the best Carvin costumer ever!!!. That or you work for ´em.

Sweet basses!!!!!!!

16. Your Carvin Basses are cool!

I have an AC40 very similar to yours (my peghead is spruce vs. your koa).

I also had an RL615 combo amp that ROCKED! But it just wasn't practical to take it to Australia with me :crying: Oh well.

Rock on!

17. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I personally like the one hanging from the amp. :p. They all look like they rock, expecially that acoustic!

Ray

18. bassace77

bassace77 Banned Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2011
    man I love those double necks

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

At first I was going to doubt the guy about them being new, because Carvin hasn't made basses like that in years..then I saw this thread was revived from 2004!